1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help choosing between 3 HD LCD TV's

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by moloo, Jul 30, 2009.

1. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

Yes, the quality would be high. The limiting factor there would be the compression of the video file rather than the TV itself. The only video you could play on that TV that would really take full advantage of it at this point is either bluray or an uncompressed bluray image of many tens of gigabytes. Anything you download won't be as high of quality as that. The quality can be good, but it won't be bluray good.

You could also make a full-fledged HTPC and add a bluray drive for like $100 these days. If you have an extra desktop PC lying around, it's worth the effort.

2. moloo

moloo Member

3. qwert99

qwert99 Regular member

That receiver and speaker setup looks pretty nice. $200 for it seems to be a good deal, but not a great deal. Surround sound in general is freakin' awesome, though, and highly recommended.

To answer your questions: no, you will never be able to upgrade it to 7.1. You could use the same speakers with a new 7.1 receiver, but the receiver is the expensive part. 5.1 ain't bad, though.

It has a HDMI input, so it's good for bluray. And the specs say it supports DTS, so it's all gravy.

I'd probably go for it, if I were you. If you want to keep looking at surround sound setups, the specs you should keep an eye on are number and type of inputs (HDMI/optical/SPDIF/etc), # of watts it can deliver per speaker, and decoding technology (DTS/etc). For the speakers, pay attention to the frequency response range and # of watts it can support. Freq. response is how low of a sound it can make and the highest pitched sound it can make. So you want a number that is as low as possible in Hz and as high as possible in KHz when you see that stat.

PS -- remember that I'm not an expert, just an interested hobbyist. So keep that in mind when you're reading my advice. I am telling you what I know to the best of my ability, but you definitely want to double check what I say, and just use it as foundational knowledge. Another forum that is REALLY knowledgeable in this area is called AVSForum. I highly recommend it. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009