1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help compressing file

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by ss6phil, Apr 15, 2006.

1. ss6phil

ss6phil Regular member

hi i having a problem compressing i file down from 2gig to about 300 meg, all i know is that the file extension named 001etc is able to do this, does anyone know how to do this so i can transfer the file to my computer upstairs since it doesnt have the internet or linked to a network.
    thanks

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You can't compress a file down that much...

3. ss6phil

ss6phil Regular member

yea but the other day i downloaded a file which was 354mb about then i extracted the file and it became the size of 1.86gb so how does that work?

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Did that file actually work when you unpacked it?
    And are you sure you didn't download several files of that size that made op for a total of 1.86 Gb ?

5. ss6phil

ss6phil Regular member

yes the file did but originally it was in a rar file which the size was around 300 and then i unpacked it and it was still the same but when i went to get the other file out of it it was 1.86gb

6. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Haha. Ok, I won't laugh.

.001 is a .rar format file, just like .002, .003, etc.

It's a way of breaking down giant files into little ones so that they
    1)originally would fit on floppies (1.4Mb chunks were the in thing)
    2)can be downloaded from newsgroups/IRC w/o timing out.

When you uncompressed that .001, you uncompressed all the other's that were with it.

And no, you're not going to get 2,048Mb compressed to 300Mb. Even if you achieved...maybe 20% compression, it would take you hours to uncompress it.

There are other compression formulas that yield higher compression, .ace does a good job, and there are a couple other proprietary ones.

7. ss6phil

ss6phil Regular member

yea but even if i did compress a 2gig file wot size do u reckon i could get it to using the .ace? maybe below 700mb

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

[bold]You cannot compress a file that's over 2Gb to something that small[/bold]
    If it turns out to be like 1.50gb you'd be lucky

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2006
  9. ss6phil

ss6phil Regular member

but how could u get a 1.86 gb file down to 346 mb? its been done so it must be possible somehow?

10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

11. ss6phil

ss6phil Regular member

ok explain this then you can actall shrink 400mb down to 1mb to fit on a floppy using kgb archive but in theroy u can shrink down 2gb down to at least 700mb

12. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

This is gonna be my last reply, since you don't seem to get it.
    First off, did you even read what TomMelee wrote?
    If you did, you would have read this :
    And even if you would do it, the file would be horrible damaged, with bits of data missing everywhere.

And like we already said, you can't have had just one file that was that size, and since you already said that you had a WHOLE BUNCH OF FILES, it should have dawned on you by now that alltogether, those files will have been 1.86 GB all together, and NOT 300 mb's.
    That just isn't possible.

So, in closing, i'll stress this point one final time :
    [bold]IT CAN'T BE DONE[/bold]

13. ss6phil

ss6phil Regular member

ok.... do u know i gd way of moving 2gig file to another computer when the computer with the internet has a cd-r and the internet and the other one has a dvd-r but no internet?

14. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

If both have Ethernet cards, then you can link them together with a crossover cable and just FTP from one system to another.

15. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

This just in:

Every single DVD ROM drive reads CD's.

Unless it's one of the ancient, ancient ones where the DVD fits inside a platter, but...surely you don't have one of those.

Use winrar to split the file into 4 even pieces. Use the CDRW or just a blank cd if you don't have any rw's sitting around. Move one...then the next...then the next...

A crossover cable or even 2 regular pieces of ethernet cable and a hub would work fine too, but I don't feel like typing how to do that.

Or..you could get a wireless router and a wireless adapter for...ahh, forget it.