1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help connecting four hdd

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by elbatman, Mar 2, 2008.

1. elbatman

elbatman Member

Well i had boughten the media center case but where i was planning to put it (in my closet) it doesnt fit in the shelf. So i gave that computer to my bro. Well i decided to get a Shuttle SS21T: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101018
    and this AMD Sempron CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103197
    this 1 GB of RAM:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178133
    and a IDE 400 GB GB HDD and Home Server 2008.
    I am just waiting for the CPU and RAM to get here.
    My Question now since i have well everything to build a small similar server as the HP Home Server Is can i connect four hdd 2 IDE and 2 SATA 150? And if so how do i set them up? Do i put the IDE in Primary Master or do I put the SATA in Primary Master? So before i go and but the other HDD i want to know that i can. Thanks.

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

3. elbatman

elbatman Member

I bought the 1 GB RAM for later to upgrade to 2 GBs as for the CPU i bought that because of the budget. FOr now i want to try the home server with 1 GB of RAM 400 GB HDD the Sempron CPU to see how it handles and with time i will just upgrade to 2GB of RAM ANother 2 HDDs and the cpu. I wanted to build it similar to the HP server. You think its a pretty good setup for what i have i have purchased?

4. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I think its a good setup. Try it out and let us know how it goes. You may want to use Windows XP as the OS.

5. elbatman

elbatman Member

But wouldnt it be better to use the home server for all its features.

6. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Yea but if your just sharing files, XP does it just as well.

7. elbatman

elbatman Member

Well i wanted to use for all the back up features because i want all my documents music and movies move automaitcally when i either save them or finish downloading the movies.

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Just everything backed up? There are 3rd party softwares that do it for you on XP. Give server a try, it might run slower than XP since it is a later version but if it suits your needs then go for it. Don't buy it yet, use the trial and see how it is first. Download the trial somewhere from microsofts site.

9. tripplite

tripplite Guest

with a fast enough computer you can use the windows briefcase folder, when files are put into the briefcase they are backuped up to a desired area.....may not be the best way to do it but hell it sure works:)

10. elbatman

elbatman Member

I downloaded the trial i want to see if it works well as a server well if its worth using.

11. elbatman

elbatman Member

Well I setup the server. It was really easy to setup. I schedule the time and date i want the sever to back up so it can do it during the night. The remote access is really easy. Right now all i need now is to update to gigabit for faster transfer. Its easy to make account and what folders i want to share it really easy everything is inside the home server console. I am still testing it out and seeing if i have problems like people have been reporting. i will keep you posted.

12. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

You can upgrade to gigabyte LAN but I don't think it'll show much of a difference.

13. elbatman

elbatman Member

So i shouldnt upgrade to gigabit? i thought i could move like a whole xvid movies in seconds. Well how much of a difference is between megabit and gigabit?

14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

You mean wired LAN right?
    Megabit LAN is 100MBPS, Gigabyte LAN is 1000MBPS or 1GBPS. Your hard drive cannot write that fast, It has the capability to transfer that fast but it never will transfer that fast. Its like how a 52x CD Burner usually only hits around 40-48x if your lucky.

15. elbatman

elbatman Member

So if i have the same setup on the computer and i add a gigabit network how fast would i be transfering a 700 mb divx movie and how fast on a 100 mbps?

16. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Around the same speed as you currently are doing. You can always upgrade but you won't see any improvement. Your hard drive does not write at 100MBPS. The fastest HD Transfer rates are around 70MBPS if I am correct. This is in a home desktop of course. Servers are faster because of RAID.

17. elbatman

elbatman Member

Since i can connect two ide and two sata 150 can i put them all together in raid or only ide and ide and sata and sata and do sata tranfer faster or same speed?

18. Mez

Mez Active member

My 2 cents -
    get SATAs and use a RAID to get the most I/O.

I did not know we had Gig networks. That is way faster than a local IDE drive! It is amazing what you can pick up in this forum. I will need to check it out weekly.

19. elbatman

elbatman Member

Well i build the server with one gig of ram, 2 ghz Sempron and a 400 gb hdd and i installed windows home server 2008 and i have had no problems with it since i installed it. I transfer music and movies everyday to the server and with no problems. I wanted to know if i was to add 2 sata 150 hdd would and i bought a gigabit network will it make a difference in the transfer speed?

20. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Doubt it, whats your transfer speed now with say a 500MB file? Are you on wireless or wired?