1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: Control Panel missing icons

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Just, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Just

Just Member

I'm missing icons from the control panel. For instance, I have no "System" icon.
    Background: I ran Norton's "Speed Disk" on two hard drives simultaniously (one intentionaly and one scheduled). It got stuck (for ~8hours) until I stopped it. I believe this messed up my XP, because since then it loads slowly, using a white bar that fills at the bottom before the splash screen, and stuff have become weird (resolution, visualizations etc...)
    [​IMG]

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you tried system restore or do a repair option when reloading xp on itself

3. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

theres two thing u can try to do to get them back....
    first, create an MMC Console, and add the "Group Policy" snap in, then under user configuration, go to administrative templates, go to control panel and see if anything is enabled, if it is disable all of them...

second, your control panel extensions may have gotten changes from their original .CPL extension....look in your system 32 folder and compare them to another computers system 32 folder.....note the names for the files with the .CPL extension so that you can recognize any files with that name with a different extension and if you do just rename them back with .CPL extension....and you could also possibly find them if their not in the system 32 folder by doing a search for any files with that name with all extensions and see if they come up....if they do thn rename those files back with th .CPL extension...