1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help converting iPod AAC files to MP3

Discussion in 'Audio' started by disneycjd, Mar 6, 2004.

1. kalk18

kalk18 Member

i cannot get the music I uploaded from a cd to load onto the i pod what am i doing wrong? any ideas?

2. guillen

guillen Member

Did you re-convert the files into AAC files or did you try to put CDA or WAV files on the Ipod? The iPod, as far as I know, will not accept files in any format other than AAC.

3. rgbtexas

rgbtexas Member

Hymn will let you get ride of the protection of iTunes. For PC's it a command line process but works well. Can't find it use Google.

4. duzzi

duzzi Member

guillen, I have exactly the same problem you have, i tried everything and still cant get it to work, how did you convert the files to mp3 format, please help

thanks

5. xexexe

xexexe Guest

Download foobar2000 and install it in a folder. Also download LAME and unzip the entire program *also* into the foobar2000 folder (so that the LAME.EXE file will be in the foobar2000 folder).

Drag an M4A file in foobar2000. Right-click on the file name and choose Convert > Run Conversion .... It will give you some choices (like LAME insane, or LAME standard, etc....). Click one of these choices and then it will ask you where you want to save the file. Pick a folder.

Presto! File has been converted to MP3 file. Enjoy.

6. ghoul2

ghoul2 Member

FYI everyone,

The iPod plays both AAC (M4A and M4P) and MP3s. (I use cdparanoia, grip, and lame with the insane preset..and they play just fine on the iPod).

There are several ways to get encoded music files to play in your car. Some cd players can deal with MP3 format directly and decode the files. Some can't. None that I know of can deal with AAC directly. And I don't know of any that can do WMA directly either. So, those of you who think AAC is a locked in format... it isn't any more or less so than MS's protected music files.

The only sure fire way to make sure your songs play in almost any player (some players don't like CD-Rs) is to convert them to standard audio cd format (which has been described already in this thread.... just select the track and hit the burn button). This applies to M4P (iTunes store music) as well. There is a limitation to the number of burns or playlist arrangements for protected music files... depending on what version of the DRM you happen to have).

Yes, transcoding (AAC->MP3->OGG->whatever) is going to decrease the fidelity of the track. Typically a track is decoded then re-encoded in the new format which is exactly what happens in iTunes when you convert from AAC (M4A) to MP3. You can't go from M4P to MP3 but you can burn the M4P to disk then rip to whatever format you want.. this is again transcoding but depending on your gear you aren't going to notice. It is also the exact same process you would have to do when/if you were to purchase music from MS, Sony, Coke, etc.. all DRM music would need to be decoded then re-encoded in another format... if they even allow you to burn them to a raw format.