1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help converting PAL DVD to NTSC using Canopus Procoder Express

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Zerg-Meat, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Zerg-Meat

Zerg-Meat Guest

I'm trying to make a high quality conversion blending/slowing down/speeding up framerates to match the NTSC framerate, NOT using Frame Addition or Deletion) of a PAL DVD to an NTSC DVD using Procoder Express.

Problem is, I have no idea which files I need to start out with...I used DVD Decrypter to save files into the appropriate folder. Right off, is DVD Decrypter the application to use to get the files from the DVD that I'm trying to convert? When I used it, there were 2 ways I could extract the files:

[bold]File F[/bold], which made 42 files, .BUP files, .IFO files, and .VOB files (and was a total of 3.8 GB).

[bold]IFO I[/bold], which made just 6 files, a small text document, an .IFO file, and 4 big .VOB files (and was a total of 3.39 GB).

I've read in the millions of threads out there that you need to use .mpeg files to make this conversion, but Canopus Procoder supposedly does it directly from .VOB file to .VOB file. But is that the right way to do it?

So I guess what I'm wondering is, what kind of files do I need to get from the DVD I'm trying to convert, how do I get them (ie., what software should I use, DVD Decrypter or another application), and then, once I have the files I need, how do I convert them using Canopus Procoder, and then, having converted them, how do I save the converted files onto a new DVD?

Canopus Pro first asks me what output I'd like to create:

[bold]VOB to burn directly to DVD[/bold] OR

[bold]MPEG-2 Program Stream (.m2p) file for DVD authoring[/bold] OR

[bold]MPEG-2 Elementary Stream (.m2v) file and audio files for DVD authoring[/bold]

Not sure which I should choose...I read somewhere that to do the conversion right u need MPEG files...

It then asks me if I want to use a [bold]Constant bitrate (CBR)[/bold] or [bold]2-pass Variable bitrate (2-pass VBR)[/bold]...once again, I'm not sure which I should choose.

Then it asks me how many minutes I want to fit on the DVD, 60, 90, 120, the more minutes being lower quality. I'm confused here, because the movie I'm trying to convert is about 120 minutes long.

Anyway, sorry for being such a noob...if anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You Should use something like DVD Decryptor or Smartripper to Rip the DVD in "Movie Mode" as a "Single" Vob file with a single Audio Track that way you don"t have to worry about Trying to Join together a Bunch of VOB files that might not be in the Correct order....If you use "SmartRipper" it can also rip the Movie as a single M2V Video file and a dolby AC3 audio file and then all you would need to do is Load the M2V Video file into procoder Express and encode it to NTSC and then author the encoded NTSC Video file and the Audio file to DVD useing a DVD authoring program like DVDLab and then you will have your NTSC DVD made from the Pal DVD, You wouldn"t be able to keep the Special Features and extra audio and Subtitle Tracks..(Well you could keep the Audio tracks and Subs if you used a Professinal Level DVD authoring Program that supported Subs and Multiple audio Tracks Like "DVDLab Pro")...

If you need help with what settings in Smartripper you would need to use to rip the DVD as a single M2V Video file and an AC3 Audio file then let me Know and I"ll explain them to you....

Cheers

3. Zerg-Meat

Zerg-Meat Guest

Hey Minion, I have a very noob question:

How do I rip a movie as 1 big .VOB file using DVD Decrypter? I've been trying and I can't find out how to do it.

Once again, sorry for my noobishness!

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi ,I don"t use DVD Decryptor very much unless I have a Troublesome DVD because it doesn"t have the Stream processing settings I like to use But you can still rip the Movie as a single VOB file but I haven"t figured out how to Rip it with Just the One Audio Track without the Foreign audio tracks and Subtitles, That is why I use "SmartRipper" because it has Features Like being able to Rip any stream as a seperate File or to rip it with just the Streams you want....

OK..First Start up DVD Decryptor with your DVD in the Drive and wait till it has detected the DVD..

Then go to "Edit" to "Select Main Movie Files" ...

Then go to "Tools" to "Settings" to the "File Mode" settings and were it says "File Splitting" set it to "None"...

Then go to the "IFO Mode" settings and set the "File Splitting" to "None"...

Then go to "ISO Read Mode" and set the "File Splitting" to "None"....

Then Click "OK" and Rip your DVD and you will be Left with One Big Vob file of the Main Movie....

Cheers