1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Drive not reading media!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by corsican, Feb 23, 2005.

1. corsican

corsican Member

Hello everyone,
    My DVD +/- drive is not behaving at all and it is making me go mad! When I put a CD/DVD (anything) in the drive the little green light goes on for two minutes and then stops...but then when I try to open the drive by clicking on the icon it tells me to insert a cd..even when one already is in. This is a problem that has progressed from being an occasional occurence to being a total everytime thing. My PC is only 4 months old.
    I have tried uninstalling the driver and installing it again (win XP) but the same problem. The diagnostic tool tells me that it should be working...but it isn't. I have spent hours on forums trying to find some help but to no avail....please help me. Cheers, Phil

2. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

is it an internal drive or external USB connected drive? what brand/model drive? using Windows XP i assume?

3. corsican

corsican Member

It is an internal drive. It is a Samsung writemaster. (TSSTcopr CD/DVDW TS-H552B)
    Cheers

4. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

ok if you have done all of that i would highly suggest trying it on another computer. that will let you know if it is a configuration snafu of some sorts or an actual hardware failing.

5. corsican

corsican Member

I would love to be able to do that but I cannot. May be hard to believe, but I do not know anyone with a desktop other than me. Cheers for the tip though. Phil

6. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

unfortunately in that case you may have to take it to a computer shop or a CompUSA to get it looked at.....honestly it would be cheaper (cuz they will charge you and it won't be $15 bucks either)to grab a new drive if you have to keep wasting your time with it and can't try it out elsewhere.

lots of new very good drives are around $50 on NewEgg.com.....very good site to peruse before buying. it will always save you some money.

7. corsican

corsican Member

Hmmmm. It may have to come to that but I am a little reluctant as it is only a few months old. Would you recomend formatting my PC and starting agin? Phil

8. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

definitely....i do this every 6 months or so anyways even if nothing is wrong. keeping Windows fresh is unfortunately a must. almost all problems tie back to that usually.

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

corsican

In your device manager, it should show your optical drive. What does it say under both, the secondary channel and also DVD/CD rom drives? Be very specific with your findings here!!!

10. corsican

corsican Member

Sorry to sound dumb..but what is my optical drive? I cannot find any optical drive in my device manager...

11. corsican

corsican Member

PS thanks for all of your help sox2k4.

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Your optical drive is your DVD or CD drive. :)

Do you know how to access your device manager?

13. corsican

corsican Member

Ok cheers.
    I double clicked on the ' DVD/CD-Rom Drives ' section and it expanded to show me a secondary option called ' TSSTcopr CD/DVDW TS-H552B '. That is all it showed. I hope that is what you wanted to know. Phil

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Not quite yet. Part one was "the secondary channel". Once you double click on IDE ATA Controllers you will see a primary and a secondary. I want to know what it says under the secondary controller under advanced tab.

[​IMG]

15. corsican

corsican Member

Ok I sort of get you.

First box

Device 0
    Device Type: auto-detection
    Transfer Mode: DMA if available
    Current Transfer mode: Ultra DMA mode 2

Second Box

Device 1
    Device Type: auto-detection
    Transfer Mode: DMA if available
    Current Transfer mode: not applicable

Hope that is what you want :)

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

That's what I want. Based on what you have stated and shown your Burner shows correctly.

Is this the burner that came with your PC? Does it have a jumper on the back of the burner set to Master? (Should be the far right position when you are looking at the rear of the burner.

If the answer is yes to both, then try one more thing and that is to go back to device manager and when you select the secondary controller, select uninstall and remove it from your system and then reboot so that your system reinstalls it for you. Try it again and also try a commercial DVD to see what happens in the drive.

17. corsican

corsican Member

Hi there.
    Yes it is the burner that came with the PC and the lead is attatched (as far as my novice eyes can tell) in the manner you have described.
    I then deleted the secondary channel and rebooted. There has been some improvement and my drive now reads commercial and backed up DVD's with no problem and it even auto-plays them which it never did.
    It does not, however, read CD data disks (such as programmes or games for example) or music cd's.
    Hmmmmm. Phil

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

corsican

It now sounds like a software issue and not a hardware issue.

When you put in a commercial music CD, and nothing happens, what does “My Computer” show for a title in your D: drive or which ever letter was assigned to your Burner?

19. corsican

corsican Member

How curious...
    I have not rebooted since my last post and the has been a development.
    The drive now reads all commercial CD's (DVD, audio and data) but fails to recognise audio CDs that are copies (for backing up the originals) and blank CD-Rs. It does, however, recognise blank DVD-Rs.
    This is very odd indeed.
    Phil

20. corsican

corsican Member

PS
    To answer your question, when going to my computer and there is a CD that the drive does not seem to recognise...it simply says DVD-R Drive (D:)
    Phil