1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - DVD fails to burn on new laptop - using NEC 2500A

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Prerna, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Prerna

Prerna Member

Hi,
    I just got a new laptop - Toshiba Satellite 2.8 Ghz and have an external DVD writer - NEC 2500A. I have been trying since yesterday, unsuccessfully, to burn movies using the new laptop. The NEC just becomes unresponsive - almost like shutting down and then I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in for it to work again. There is no problem with watching movies, decrypting or transferring them to the hard drive with the NEC - just that it fails to burn (at some random point) using Nero/CopytoDVD...
    However it did burn a DVD-5 when I put it in the DVD-Rom drive of the laptop and the DVD-R in the burner, which baffles me. I have tried updating my Windows and NEC to the latest firmware update. The NEC works fine on my slow ass PC...

I use Dvd Decrypter and then DVD Shrink before using NERO to burn or Copy to DVD. The simulaton ran fine (I didn't want to waste more dvd-r) - the burning didn't so it tricked me. Help me - I don' know what else could be the problem...

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Can the same be said when doing a dvd-9?

3. Prerna

Prerna Member

Haven't tried it yet. I would have to download CloneDVD Trial Version for that since NERO won't do it...

4. flip218

Won't do what? Burn? If I'm correct you said you can burn ...
    That is why I asked if you tried with a dvd-9. Put the source in your laptop dvd rom and a blank in your burner ... see if you can successfully backup. If you can it's not the software, it's your hardware. You just can't rip and burn with your NEC burner.

Acutally you really should rip with your dvd rom, and only burn with your dvd burner. 1) you'll rip faster 2) put's less wear on your burner.

5. Prerna

Prerna Member

Ok - Let me try that. I meant that I can't do a DVD-9 using NERO since it wont compress onto a DVD-5. I didn't know I could use my DVD-ROM to rip, but that makes sense. My NEC works perfectly on my PC...I was thinking it has to be the hardware n m Toshiba Laptop...but still don't know what it could be...Anyway...let me try this and I'll post an update...Thx

6. flip218

Rip with DVD Decrypter in file mode.
    Open Decrypter -> click mode, then File F

Then you can open the file with either Recode2 (comes in the full version of Nero 6) or open with Shrink.

7. Prerna

Prerna Member

Thanks - I was just gonna ask what program you recommend I use...
    So I rip with Decrypter with my DVD-ROM. Then I use Shrink? I dont have Recode with the NERO bundle software I got...Thanks.

8. flip218

Yea, then just use Shrink

Open Shrink -> click open files, then go from there. Let me know if that helps :)

9. Prerna

Prerna Member

Well - I am ripping with my DVDRom using decrypter. The speed is not the best surprisingly - it is only doing a 2.0 x as opposed to the 5.0 x of the NEC. But I can bear that for now.

10. flip218

Well you could try ripping from your NEC. Just don't do the whole process of Shrink from your NEC. ie. Rip the disc first with Decrypter from your NEC. Then use Shrink to open the file from your HD, then burn.

11. Prerna

Prerna Member

No luck.
    I encoded using Shrink after deep analysis and everything....and burning stopped at 9% with the Nero internal burn engine, which was prob. just random. I don't know what to do...I have probably wasted about 8 DVD-R's in the past 3 days trying to figure this out...
    :(

12. flip218

Ok ... you ripped with Decrypter first, then ran it through shrink. Did you auto burn with Shrink (using Nero)?

Shrink creates a video_ts file, can you burn the with Nero?

Can you also post your laptops specs?

13. Prerna

Prerna Member

Yes - I ripped using my DVDRom with Decrypter before using DVD Shrink to encode and then it auto-burned through Shrink using NERO. Then I see the lights go off on my NEC at 9% and I actually have to pull the USB out on the NEC and use Ctrl+Alt_Delete to shut down DVD Shrink.
    I'll try to burn from NERO directly with the VIDEO_TS folder...
    Laptop Specs: Toshiba Satellite 2.8 GHZ A65-S126
    60.0 GB HD. Intel Celeron Processor. Usable Memory:192 MB RAM...anything specific?
    One weird thing -It burns CD's with no problem with the NEC...I burned about 5 yesterday with no problems at all...Just the DVD from the HD is giving me problems.

14. flip218

Your probably crashing your system. 193mb of ram isn't much, especially for dvd backups.

Hopefully you can burn the video_ts file with Nero. If you can, you'll just have to each step one at a time.

15. Prerna

Prerna Member

isn't that virtual memory that can be increased? My paging file is set at 500 MB...I know that the RAM on my PC is way less and it always burned wthout crashing.
    Anyway - I uninstalled NERO and used CloneDVD to make an ISOFile before burning and unplugged everything from the laptop apart from the power source and NEC USB and it burned! So now I have virtually no clue as to what the problem is/was...but I am a bit happier...

16. flip218

You could give that a try:

Right click "my computer", then properties -> click advanced -> under Performance click settings -> then advanced -> at the bottom "virtual memory" click change -> set both initial & maximum to 4000 (that should be enough) -> click ok

17. flip218

Before you do it ... defrag your hard drive.

18. Prerna

Prerna Member

alright i got things working. discovered that if i unplug all the other ext. peripherals and just have the ac adapter and nec plugged in - there is no problem. I have been using Clone DVD and the past 3 burns were great...Thx for all your help. I really appreciate it.