1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help DvD-R is not recognized in my DVD/CD-R Drive

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Missy185, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Missy185

Missy185 Member

Hi I am new to this so please bear with me.

I bought DVD-R cd's so I can burn movies from my computer to the cd's. BUT my computer does not even recognize the blank DVD-R cd's in it. The disk drive says DVD ROM on it so why is it not reading it or even recognizing it is in there. I have 2 programs, DeepBurner and BurnmyFiles v3.5 and neither program can pick up the disk either.

I have checked the computer and it days the DVD drive is working properly. It will read other cds but not a blank dvd-r?

Can someone please tell me what to do? I have searched the internet for answers to no avail. I am not very computer literate when it comes to this. Thanks in advance and I hope for a reply soon. I will be waiting ...thank you so much!!

2. attar

attar Senior member

Run Nero Info Tool.
    Check to see which features your drive supports.

The example shown is my 'E' drive - as you can see it supports the reading and writing (burning) of DVDs and CDs.

Here's the link - paste it into your browser, download, unzip and run.

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/tools/InfoTool.zip

[​IMG]

3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

CDs and DVDs are completely different kinds of discs. There is no such product as a "DVD-R cd." If your drive says "DVD-ROM," that means it can only read DVDs or DVD-R discs that are recorded. A blank DVD-R is missing information until that information is recorded to it describing what is on the disc. Your playing drive is looking for that missing information, and it is not finding it.

If you have a laptop computer, the simplest solution is to buy an external DVD+/-R recording drive that can connect to your laptop with a USB cable. All such drives can also record CD-Rs also. That may be a help if your computer drive is only a CD and DVD reader, not a recorder at all.