1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help...DVDs played yesterday, freeze today

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by vaughan1, Nov 16, 2002.

1. vaughan1

vaughan1 Guest

I have a multi region Pioneer DV-636D which I bought about 18 months ago. It has been working fine for the past 18 months but has suddenly stopped playing DVDs, it will play for about 2 seconds and then freezes. Fast forward the DVD and again it will play for about 2 seconds and then freeze. This applies to 'old' DVDs which have been playing successfully for the last 18 months. VCDs and audio CDs continue to play ok.
    Any suggestions ?
    I've put a CD lens cleaner into the DVD player but this hasn't had any effect ?
    It must be something simple ?
    Any help appreciated.
    Regards,
    Dick Vaughan
    Cork, Ireland

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

WOW!! Someone else from Ireland. How ya doin, Im from Tipp!

Anyway, I shared your problem. Unfortunately, the only solution I got was a new dvd drive. Don't ask me why but cd drives do just fail. Do a little test for me. Put any cd in and try copy all the files from the cd into a folder on your computer. This will require the dvd drive to work at a high transfer rate (just like for dvd's) and this is where the problem was for me. If it pauses, then you need a new drive. Make sure you cancel if it pauses for a long time because, Windows will crash!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2002
  3. vaughan1

vaughan1 Guest

I've just got a DVD player connected to the TV, so I can't copy files. My DVD player is chipped for multi region, I was wondering if the chip has failed and now the DVD player will only play DVDs from one region.
    Any idea what happens when you try to play a DVD from one region in a DVD player set for a different region.

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like a logical enough explanation but believe i never actually saw what happens when you play a region that isn't supported.