1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Help]Error 16 Cant Unlock .

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by vietazn50, Jul 3, 2009.

1. vietazn50

vietazn50 Member

Well I gave up on my other xbox that I stupidly unlocked through ConfigMagic BUT I had 2 other xboxes laying around also. One is for my friend and the other 2 is mine [Unlocked 1 and The one that was working, still had its virginity]. Then one day out of the blue i turned my xbox on [the one that was working] i got an error 16! :[ I then googled everything possible but all i could find was smash the xbox or hotswap. I tried hotswapping but i couldnt get the gay xbox to unlock. THEN i pulled out the dvd drive and tried to get the error 11 instead but i get the error 12 >.< With the error 12 i removed the hd and plugged in my pcs IDE into the HD of the xbox BUT still not unlocking. Can someone help plz? :[

2. Demonix90

Demonix90 Guest

Hey, I JUST did a hotswap this morning. Now, alot of people have the same problem, you most likely successfully unlocked your Xbox HD, but you didn't use a pause break when your computer boots. There are also 3 different methoeds to unlock your HD. I have a v1.06b Xbox, the hardest Xbox to unlock, and the 3 following methods worked for me EVERY time. (Did multiple hotswaps, trust me on this one)

Unlock Xbox HD

Method 1: Insert a music CD, ANY CD with a song, it DOESN'T matter since it's going to be erased. Copy the first song of the CD to the HD, leave the default names of Soundtrack1, Track1, etc. Once the song is copied, eject the disc, close disc tray with no disc. Play the song off the HD for about 30 seconds, then hit pause. Disconnect Xbox IDE cable for hotswap.

Method 2: Insert any Xbox Game, having a save file isn't needed, you can create a new save, or load one. Once the game is fully loaded, load your game (or create new). Once in gameplay, play the game for about 5 seconds, or if the game starts off with a trailer, wait 5 seconds. Unplug Xbox HD IDE cable for hotswap.

Method 3: The Error 12 message allows the Xbox HD to remain unlocked for a guessed 30 seconds between a hotswap. To get an Error 12, start the Xbox with all IDE cables in. Once Xbox is loaded, preferably without a game, unplug the IDE cable from the Xbox DVD drive. Power off the Xbox. Wait 3 seconds. Power on Xbox. The first splash screan will load, once it is finished the red light will start flashing. Pull the Xbox IDE cable once the red light starts flashing.

*IMPORTANT NOTE* When pulling the IDE cable out of the Xbox HD, you MUST pull all 40 pins out at once, wiggling the cable sideways will not properly allow the Xbox to unlock. I suggest pulling the IDE cable out slightly while Xbox is OFF, allowing you to pull the cable out with one quick straight pull, all 40 pins at once. Use some common sense to make sure all 40 pins are still connected before powering on the Xbox, or the HD won't boot.

Now, any 3 of those methods worked for me, and I used each one as I messed up 3 times on the Xboxhdm. Making sure you pull out the cable from all 40 pins at once is important too. Now, here is where you may be going wrong. Every PCs motherboard should have 2 IDE slots. You will need 2 separate IDE cables. Your first IDE cable is connected to the CD/DVD drive ONLY. The second IDe cable is connected to the motherboard only, leaving the Primary and secondary slots vacant. First, make sure your computer is set to boot from the CD drive first, not the HD. It's in your setup, press F2 or F12 (or w.e button it says) at first splash screen to goto setup. You can set this here.

When you power on the PC with the xboxHDM cd you burned with the ISO image, IMMIDIETLY press pause break when you see the first splash screen. This will pause the computer and is VITAL to getting the hotswap to work. Once it is paused, nothing will happen until you hit pause break again (or maybe enter). If your Xboxhdm CD loads, you need to restart the PC. You NEED to get the pausebreak. Once the PC is paused, you can now preform the hotswap using one of the 3 methods above. Connect the Xbox HD to the Primary IDE cable, then press pausebreak again and you will now be able to use XboxHDM on your HD!

Run XboxHDM, using a guide, rebuid the HD from scratch with the 5960 dash. Once you have rebuilt the HD, your Xbox will be error free. Using a separate disc, you can burn another Xboxhdm with Ndure and softmod the xbox using the hotswap.

-Remember to keep the Xbox on at ALL times, with the Xbox HD powered by the Xbox.

-Make sure your PC bios is set to boot from CD

-DONT FORGET PAUSEBREAK

-Try to remove IDE cable as evenly/quickly as possible from the Xbox HD when preforming hotswap.

Hope this helped!

3. vietazn50

vietazn50 Member

does hotswap support hard drives version WD80EB-28CGH2? because maybe thats my problem

4. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

well yes, that is the original ms drive (8gb). that hotswapping thing is rather sensitive, i never could get it to work. you apparently have to time it rather well. i've read that method 1 works, method 2 and 3 i never heard of (not saying that they don't work, but these 2 methods are new to me).

you should give method 1 a try. off course,

at least i assume, you already tried to run an original game (put game in the tray, power down the xbox. then power on the xbox with the game in the tray) and update the ms dashboard with a post halo 2 game? it then updates the dashboard and lets you set the clock again (with that method i restored one dashboard that also has the clock setting error).

but...... if you unlocked your harddrive in configmagic and didn't relock it back (saved the eeprom anywhere, either on your computer or on your xbox harddrive), you will get an error 5 after you fixed your dashboard (error 16)!!! after which the real fun begins. good luck, and try the above mentioned method 1

5. vietazn50

vietazn50 Member

welll i cant pass the error screen so method 1 or 2 wouldnt work.

6. Demonix90

Demonix90 Guest

The hotswap will work with error 12, and yeah hot swapping is all about timing. Using the pause break at your PCs splash is important, otherwise when you hotswap the IDE cables the HD wont be recognized.

Hotswaps are a pain, google 'xboxhdm hotswap' an you should find a guide with pictures as one of the first links.