1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Every player I use crashes when I close it.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Kurgan, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Kurgan

Kurgan Guest

I could really use some help. I've got a two-fold problem that really has me stumped. First, every time I use WMP (or any other player) the program crashes immediately after I close the program. Then the popup window informing me of the crash won't go away. I could click it a hundred times and it just keeps coming back. As far as I can tell this is only happening with AVI/MP43 encoded files (TMD movies, to be exact). I've got the Nimo codec pack installed, if that helps. (And, on some programs like Radlight, the file locks up the player when I open it.)

Secondly, when I try to watch one of those movies, it looks ok the first time, but if I stop the movie and re-start it, or open a second file, the video goes all to hell and looks like it's got tons of "snow" all through it. Every file I open after that looks the same until I reboot, then I'm able to fire up one file normally before everything goes wonky again. I'm guessing these two problems may be related, but don't know for sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kurgan

2. dyingfrog

dyingfrog Member

those problems r usually due to the OS!
    I strongle suggest checking ur OS!

3. Kurgan

Kurgan Guest

What do you mean by checking my OS? You've lost me. I run Win98se (I don't like anything that's come out since), and all these problems only started after I did a clean re-install after formatting. I was running the same OS previously and everything worked fine. After re-installing everything it would seem that something got screwed up, and that's what I'm trying to identify. It seems that anything that attempts to make use of the Divx codec is what crashes or can't use it properly. I even removed the 5.0.3 codec and reinstalled the 502, but that didn't fix it. Like I said, I'm stumped.

4. dyingfrog

dyingfrog Member

I've never met with the problems u described.
    I want u to take another try.
    Use all kinds of players to play ur medias.

5. Kurgan

Kurgan Guest

Did that. Tried half a dozen media players (including a few that are their own player and not just WMP front-ends --I hate those). In every case they will only play the first (divx) file correctly and then it's all snowy (for subsequent files) unless I reboot. They also all crash as soon as I try to close the program. This, of course, only happens when I try to play a divx avi. I managed to see a report from WMP on the crash and the first thing it mentioned was the divx codec as the source of the problem, but the weird thing about that is that I've tried uninstalling it and replacing it with an older version, but the older codec has the same problems. Since the older codec worked previously (on my previous Windows installation), then it must be something about the new setup that can't handle it and is causing the crash and improper rendering. I've been attempting to use the normal, logical process of elimination in determing where the problem lies, but everything the trail seems to point to just doesn't make sense. Still stumped. :)

6. dyingfrog

dyingfrog Member

I'm sorry to hear that!
    distinctly ur trouble has nothing to do with your players!
    so I have to say either ur OS or ur codec is sick!