1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help... firewire

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by vocxxvoc, May 26, 2004.

1. vocxxvoc

vocxxvoc Member

i finally got away from those 8mm cameras and i just bought a digital camera (Samsung DV SCD 107). I was hoping to edit home movies, but when i upload the film from the camera to the computer, i used a usb and the streaming quality is poor (Low resolution, low pixel count, it lags, skips and the film is choppy). A friend told me about the <firewire> which can stream the video to the cpu in excellent quality (realtime).

Would the firewire make things all better when transfering film from the camera to the cpu?

2. andyfrank

andyfrank Regular member

well the usb is bad becuz u prolly have usb 1.1 and firewire (or IEEE1334 or sumthin) is better becuz the speed is greater but the pc has to also be able to keep up too

3. kev1315

kev1315 Member

vocxxvoc, you are right about the quality of USB, as usefull as it is for some users firewire is absolutely the way to go. I would recommend a good package to capture the video as well - I use Adobe Premiere Pro and InterVideo WinDVD Recorder, Adobe is the better product though.

4. ZombyHero

ZombyHero Member

Firewire (aka IEEE 1394) is a definite must if you're interested in editing video. Many newer PCs come equipped with firewire cards, and simply capture cards like the ADS Pyro only run $30-$40.

And kev1315 was also very right about getting a decent editing package. Windows XP comes equiped with Windows Movie Maker, which has basic editing features, but if you want to get serious, I highly recommend Adobe Premiere Pro.

Good luck.