1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help fixing m$ dashboard with ERROR 21

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by alinares, Aug 16, 2005.

1. alinares

alinares Regular member

i need help fixing my m$ dashboard it gives an error 21 i can't fix the m$ by updated it so is there an other of fixing it and my xbox is softmodded.

2. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

most likely your default dashboard is currupted. you might consider reinsalling the dashboard and you should be good to go

3. alinares

alinares Regular member

how do i reinstall the dashboard

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  4. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

The easiest way to do it is getting ahold of a Installer Disk like slayers because it works as boot disk as well. Once you get that to boot, you can just have it reinstall your dashboard.

5. alinares

alinares Regular member

dude i burned like 4 f**ckin slayers disk and they never worked.i burned at 2x,1x2x,4x and they never worked man.but i don't really need the m$ dash because i already have evox and it's a softmodd so there is no point of putting back the m$ dash and i play xbconnect.man your the only guy that helped man thanks.

6. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

sorry about your trouble. I found the first time I tried to burn the slayers disk. it gets a little tricky. if you are fine without the m$ dash then no worries.

If you can get your evox dashboard to work, then you can reinstall the m$ dash by FTPing it to your xbox and just replacing the .xbe file that is there. That is actually a simple way as well!

7. Kersand

Kersand Member

Hi, I just soft-modded my Xbox with Unleash-X. I clicked on restore xbox to unmodded background, and it did. but now when I boot my box I get the error 21. I just want to know where I can download the software that I need to reinstall the MS Dashboard.

8. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

OK Im a little confused, I understand that you are using UnleashX as your dashboard, but what do you mean by wanting a unmodded background? do you mean you want to but the m$ dashboard? if so then it seems as if you have a currupted dashboard. most cases when you have an error code 21, this is the case. Will your box boot up when you have a game in(it should)? most newer games have an m$ update in them. if you put one in your box, it [bold]may[/bold] install a new m$ dashboard on your box. another option is to reinstall the dash with an auto-installer disk or if you can somehow FTP to your xbox, then you can drop the newest m$ dashboard to your C drive.
    Hope this could help

9. Kersand

Kersand Member

I tried to load a game, but no matter what game I put in it fails to load. My friend said that when I uninstalled Unleash it did not completely uninstall, and it is still modded. He said that I should try to FTP M$ Dash to my Box. I just want to know if I can fix my box of if I need to get a new hard drive.

10. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

what your friend said makes sense. if you can find a way to ftp over to your xbox, then you should be able to restore the box by installing a new .xbe dashboard file. or you can get a hold of a auto-installer and reformat the whole thing.

11. Kersand

Kersand Member

will an auto-installer work even if the xbox cannot load game disks?

12. alinares

alinares Regular member

alright i did the thing that you told to deezp1 i replaced the xboxdash.xbe with another one a newer version so i reboot my xbox then it
    give me an error 13 than i turn it off then turn it on agian then it gives an error 16 then i say to myself can i boot games then i put mechassault the game i did my softmod then it loads up then i redid the softmodd then it ask's me patch xboxdash.xbe then i say yes than it tells to reboot i reboot then it goes to evox then i choose to go msdash
    it doesn't load or give me an error what should i do?

13. Kersand

Kersand Member

I have never heard of that before. I will search on the topic to try to find something. I will let you know if I find any info.

14. xXTaNkXx

xXTaNkXx Guest

Hey, Im new to this site, but i tried softmodding my xbox using Splinter Cell. (non platinum version) I used action replay and copied the linux 2 my xbox hd. I booted up SC and pressed run linux and an error 21 came up saying call customer support. If any one knows how to get the evo x dash 2 load plz reply.

15. xboxdevil

xboxdevil Guest

if you guys bothered to read through enough threads you will notice your not the only one with error 21 problems just read through the forums and you will find your solution.if not get someone to email you a copy of msdash.xbe and then ftp it to your xbox.

16. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

Ok you want to recover your M$Dash. The most likey cause beeing you muffed up a Softmod attempt that broke your M$Dash. The simplist way to recover and perhaps the safest! IS TO BACKUP YOUR FREAK'N C:\ PARTITION!

Barring that, and you're now stuck with an 'ERROR 21'. You can still recover simply enough. I guessing that no One here is a total Pirate. In so far as most Poeple should have on average at least Four or Five Games, I myself have Eleven Game Disc's, Two of which are XBOX Live!™ enabled.

No here's the **BIG SECRET** Guy's!, Download a Program called BoxPlorer (If you still do not have it on your XBOX™. You can find it in the ususal Places!), Now from your presumably working Dash, or by loading a Game Save Hack (henceforth: GSH), to get to the EvoX Dash. Lauch BoxPlorer from the Apps Section, insert your XBL!™ Game Disc. Let it load up in BoxPlorer then Change your Directory to the D:\ Partition (DVD-ROM Drive),. Locate the File 'UpdateDash.xbe', Press the 'A Button', on your Controller to lauch this File. .xbe's are the equivalent to an .exe on your PC.

Running this Program will basicly reinstall your M$Dash to the point where the M$Dash was when that Game Disc was made. So the UpdateDash.xbe on Splinter Cell will be older then say the UpdateDash.xbe on the Fourth DVD in the Star Wars Trilogy Boxset, The One with the Star Wars Battlefront Game Demo on it! No matter which Updatedash.xbe you use it should be able to rebuild your Dashboard again. At the cost of muffing your Softmod(s).

No that it comes to it if you don't have an XBL!™ Game Disc, I'd just look for a 'UpdatesDash.xbe' in the other Ususal Places and just, FTP that to the XBOX™ and run it from there...

17. Kersand

Kersand Member

Yeah, but the only problem for me is that I used Unleash X and when I took it off my box it gave me error 21. The box will not load any type of disk. I have tried FTP, DVD Auto-Install, Turning it of with the game in then turning it on, and I have also tried taking it apart and puting everything back in. Nothing has worked. I think that I am screwed, and that I should sell my box and buy another. Unless there is any way that I can fix this problem I am going to sell it.

18. Nesto44

Nesto44 Member

I Just got the same error and I was able to boot up the 007 that I used to install the softmod so I did the regular steps to softmod and I booted up my xbox and just restored my XBOX. Hopes this helps somebody. Thanx----Nesto44

19. 4C3

4C3 Member

i just tryed to softmod my xbox with splinter cell exploit. i successfully installed the softmod and then tryed to install AID after it. i formatted all the drives and then prepared them. i installed all apps and all dashboards. now when i turn my xbox on i get error 13 and it wont read any burnt discs....???

20. foxman666

foxman666 Member

hey um is there a way to put ga,e saves on the xbox wit out a dash board and u cant ftp?????