1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for HDD upgrade first timer!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by dinky2012, Aug 12, 2009.

1. dinky2012

dinky2012 Member

i need help bad. I want to upgrade the hard drive in my xbox to the WD1200JB. i did my research and heard it's one of the best for the job. but i can not find a clear guide for my situation on how to upgrade the HDD and configure it. here is everything i'm working with. please tell me the best way to perform the upgrade, if i can.

1) i do NOT nor can NOT get a modchip.

2) i CAN swap out my pc HDD to configure the xbox HDD.

3) i CAN make a cd-rw

4) i CAN FTP to my xbox

5) i am NOT SURE on how to flash or upgrade my xbox BIOS

6) i am NOT SURE on how to make a bootdisk from a floppy

i found this guide (http://www.copying-xbox-games.com/tutorials.php?tutorialid=00000032) and it seems to me like it would be the best and easiest way to perform this. but it does not mention anything about the BIOS. do i need to do anything to the xbox BIOS to upgrade the HDD? so many problems! please help! i need instructions

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. varnull

varnull Guest

3. dinky2012

dinky2012 Member

i'll follow that guide exactly, once i get the HDD. i already swapped out my dvd drive with the hitachi drive from my first xbox, which was a 1.6 (the one now is a 1.0). i'm also buying a new 2 foot ATA 133 cable so i get a little bit faster transfer rates all together. thanks for the link and sorry i didnt search here first before posting

4. dinky2012

dinky2012 Member

actually, now that i think about it, i dont recall ever coming across one detail of the hard drive you should use when swapping. do i need to buy a new hard drive, or does it not matter if it's used and in great condition? i'm still going to buy a new one, but i never heard anything about it,

5. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

I use the WD5000AAKB drives

They're PATA/IDE 16mb cache and 500gb

They work great for xbox's and i've never had a problem with them.

It doesn't matter if you buy a drive new or used just as long as it works and doesn't have any bad sectors. You should also install a bigger fan to help cool the new drive. The newer drives operate at a higher rpm and create more heat. It's better to keep them cool now than have to replace them later.

6. dinky2012

dinky2012 Member

i keep coming across western digital caviar HDDs. should i not buy a caviar? i'm under the impression they are special. are the good to use for modding?

7. dinky2012

dinky2012 Member

come one guys, i need to know what exactly NOT to buy and what would be best

8. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Here's a list of all the drives that have been tried, most work, some don't.

I've been buying Western Digital 500 gig drives for quite a long time now and never had any problems with one of them.

The latest ones i've bought are WD5000AAKB like i said. They'll cost you about $75 on ebay shipped. These are the Caviar Blue drives.

Now I already told you what would be the best twice and you ignored it, don't ask the same question again.

9. varnull

varnull Guest

[​IMG]

I have given up..