1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for newbie - getting movies into computer

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by gbswales, Mar 29, 2004.

1. gbswales

gbswales Member

I have just bought a Panasonic NV-DS60B digital camcorder. I have a relatively powerful PC sitting beside me with editing suite and TV card (albeit the latters drivers have bombed out for the moment!)
    The only leads the camera comes with are the standard RCA connectors. There is a DV out socket but I cannot find anything in the handbook that tells me what I need for this (other than a "Panasonic PC kit" - though all references to this talk about capturing still shots)
    I could spend the next 10 nights re-configuring my TV card drivers and use the TV leads BUT wouldnt this be missing the point about owning a digital camcorder?
    The shop I bought it from told me I needed a firewire card (I only have usb at present) which is no problem but I cannot find out anywhere if I can connect the Panasonic straight to a firewire or where in the UK I can find an appropriate lead if I can.

The Panasonic site is not very helpful as they only list their current models and this is a 2003 job (obsolete in their mind!!!)
    I would appreciate any help from anyone who can solve the problem for me

2. malum

malum Regular member

You need a firewire card and a firewire lead (get a card that comes with a lead and you will save a few pennies)
    The DV out is the firewire it's a standard connector

3. gbswales

gbswales Member

Thanks for that quick reply
    My supplier (e-buyer "plug") offers me 3 choices
    [bold]4pin to 6pin[/bold] seems the common one but there is also
    [bold]4pin to 4pin[/bold] and
    [bold]6pin to 6pin[/bold]
    which do I need?
    The board will be e-buyers generic model (their stuff I have found is good quality and cheap) which doesnt include the lead but since the two items come to less than £17 a good deal less than panasonics offering which is nearer £40 PLUS the board
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Newbie with Panasonic NV-BS60B
    "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.
    There is anothe[/small]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  4. malum

malum Regular member

You probably need 4 pin to 6 pin but I can't guarantee it