1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help getting windows media player 11

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by rstevens0, Jul 27, 2006.

1. rstevens0

rstevens0 Member

hey I am trying to get windows media player 11, but it says I need to have an update called Update Rollup 2. I have tried to get Update rollup 2, but it wont install. Please help

2. Niobis

Niobis Active member

What reason does it state for error in installing?

3. rstevens0

rstevens0 Member

It says " Problem: please check your update history for a description." I go to my update history and when I click on Update rollup 2 it gives me the error code 0x643.

4. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

hey a little advice GET WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 11 AT YOUR OWN RISK
    it is a bunch of c**p, i am guessing they have not released a final version and it is still in beta.
    many people are experienceing problems with it, and you know with windows once you upgrade you cannot downgrade, i made this mistake with IE 7 it is piece of **beep** gets on my nerves.
    just wait untill all the good reviews and final version comes out, ok?

5. rstevens0

rstevens0 Member

ok I guess I'll wait a while

6. demo

demo Guest

Hi,
    Update rollup 2 can be installed after all the other Microsoft updates are installed first. Also you must have a valid copy of Windows with service pack 2 installed before Rollup 2 will install.
    I have been using Media Player 11 with zero problems for about a month now, also I.E.7, also with no problems. And yes you can uninstall I.E.7. Go to start, control panel, add/remove programs and check the box uptop that says show updates. Uninstall as usual and it will revert back to I.E.6. Hope this helps.

7. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I'll second that you should avoid WMP 11 like the plague. Ditto for IE7 if you're thinking about it.

8. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I digg WMP 11 and IE7, I admitt that IE7 ripped off Firefox and Opera but still neat. I have ZERO issues running either.

People have miXXXed (XXX, hehe, sorry I had to throw that in there) reviews but the only I can say is check it your self and decide for your self.

9. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

i have checked for myself and decided it is a lump of dinosaur **beep**

10. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

LMAO -BluRay-

11. Argentum

Argentum Member

Blue Ray, you're simply bashing the crap outta something, yet supplying zero supporting facts as to why.
    I have used WMP 11 for well over a month now, and I not only have no problems with it, it also plays my DVDs clearer than PowerDVD and it doesn't hog my system.

I tried IE7, -three times, actually, thinking before the 2nd & 3rd time that maybe I had not given it a fair shake, with fair time. But I just didn't like it.
    Point is, I successfully uninstalled it each time with no problems what so ever.

It's a shame to have newbies scared away from trying new softeware by someone who had a bad experience and insists on being on an adamant smear campaign.

12. rav009

rav009 Active member

I love IE7, haven't found a single issue with it, though I use Firefox.

WMP on the other hand, wasn't for me, it is not in beta anymore and I had no issues with it, worked great and looked nice, only problem was I could'nt find a lot of my music.

I downgraded easilly, though some others couldn't, feel free to try it, you may like it, there is no "risk" as far as I know...lol.

@BluRay, Tell us why you didn't like them? :)

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've been using WMP11 trouble free for about a month now and really, really like it.

Ripping to medium quality VBR WMA is incredibly fast and to my ears is indistinguishable from the 192 VBR LAME MP3's I traditionally use. I also love the way WMP player will download album covers and information then organize your albums in many different ways depending on your preferences. I rarely have anything good to say about Microsoft products but WMP 11 has impressed me enough that I'll back it and recommend it without hesitation.

It's fine to not like a product but there's also a responsibility to quantify the opinion with specifics preferably from personal experience. rstevens0 could, like me and geestar, have a great experience with WMP11 so it'd be ashame to allow personal bias make him think the app is complete crap when that clearly isn't the case.

14. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

why are u using IE anyways? LMAO

I to have not had any troubles with WMP11, its a nice upgrade IMO.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Here's a screenshot of how I have WMP11 set up to display albums,

[​IMG]

16. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Lol neph you're about as eclectic as I am, haha.

I like WMP10, don't use 11, because I don't feel like messing w/ WGA. On this system it normally takes abotu 45 seconds to rip a CD to 196kbit mp3, which is my hat choice because I'm not sure my chinese knock-off ipod likes the vbr's.

Anyhoo...
    I wouldn't run IE7 for peanuts and blowpops, Firefox = win, if for no other reason than that I enjoy taking market share away from M$.

17. Argentum

Argentum Member

You Bastard! :p

18. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

Argentum, are you a MS fanboy?
    :) we should all help TomMeLee take away maket shares from MS.
    Nice Digi_Album Nephilim.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  19. rav009

rav009 Active member

I'm going Linux soon anyways.

Creaky reccomended Mandriva/Mandrake to me, it's pretty good :)

For the record, IE7 is/is going to be part of an update soon, so I thought I'd check it out, not to bad in actuall fact, firefox all the way anyways.

20. Argentum

Argentum Member

Well, I never had considered myself as such, but in reflection, I guess maybe I am. Everybody seems to hate a monopoly. There's a negative connotation associated with them because they usually make up all the rules, being the only game in town.
    -But I don't think Micro$oft has really taken advantage of everyone (certainly at least not to the extent that they could).
    I think they have actually done a fine job. -You have to consider what they have done over the years; made something as sophisticated and complex as a computer completely moronified to the point where any idiot on the planet can actually run one. IMO, that's really quite a feat.

I don't ditch Apple, Linux, etc. The bigger they get, the better for all of us consumers because they will have to strive for better quality in order to continue being competitive. -Always a good thing.

...Then there's a part of me that watches Micro$oft stock (and Apple). ;) We all need a little nest egg to ease our worries a little in these times of global economic uncertainties.