1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Great-Grandma installed a zip drive, now nothing works!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pkoontz, Dec 31, 2004.

1. pkoontz

pkoontz Member

Help! I attempted to install an external iomega zip drive (parallel port) to my granddaughters computer. It’s a pretty basic system, 10 gig HD partitioned into 3 drives. Running 2000 professional NT. 256 ram, Pentium 3.

After installing the software, I was directed to reboot, meanwhile plugging in and turning on the zip drive.

Oh my gosh, when I did this, all heck broke out. I can’t get into Windows at all, it just keeps rebooting. When the screen first comes up I have the choice of going to win prof or the dos prompt. This was set up this way and I have always chosen the win prof. When I choose win prof, it appears to be running normal until I get to about 75% then it resets itself.

When I go to the dos prompt, the message I get is: My original config files have been renamed config.upg and autoexec.upg and are located in the C:\MSDOS7 Directory. Since I managed to screw this all up I didn’t want to attempt anything until I was directed.

I can also use the F8 key which brings me to window that says windows 2000 advanced options menu. No help there either.

I can also get to CMOS but don’t have a clue as to what to do.

Please help in anyway you can. I feel just terrible. This all seemed so simple to just install an external zip but now my granddaughter computer is dead.

I am a 60 year old Great-Grandmother so please assist me with step by step directions since I’m obviously not too bright.

Thank you so much in advance for all of your help and assistance. Hopefully this can be resolved before I have to tell her that her computer died or should I say that Grandma killed it?

2. Raiten

Raiten Regular member

Well the only thing i can think of is to disconnect the zip drive, and see if it'll turn on. If not, start the computer in safe mode. F8 while it boots then "Start in Safe Mode". If that doesn't work, then the other thing you can do is reformat the HD. Hopefully there isn't anything on there that your grand daughter wants.

Again these are only the things that I can think of. I'm sure there are other ways. Also, i don't recommend reformatting until you've exhasted all your other options.