1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help- HD camcorder, PC friendly

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by pmaknelho, Jul 11, 2007.

1. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

My wife and I are having our first child in Oct. and we're wanting to purchase our first camcorder. I'm wanting to buy one of those new HD camcorders, so we'll have great quality film for are child 15-25 years done the road. I also want to use it as a golf tool when analyzing the swing during lessons. I'm also very comfortable with my home computer. I would like to be able to make DVDs for other family members. I've heard about how great the HV20 is, but it doesn't have a hard drive. Can the tapes be EASILY transferred to the PC into a digital format for producing DVDs? or blu-rays/HD-DVDs? I've heard there is loss in video quality on digital formats compared to MiniDV tapes, but is it truly that noticeable?

If I want to sustain picture quality, archive family videos(including sports events) for years down the road, slow down the film to analyze the golf swing on my PC/home theater, transfer film to PC to make DVDs for family, which camcorder and/or other software/equipment should I get?

Canon HV20?
    Sony HDRSR7/ or other hard drive HD camcorder?
    MiniDV tape to PC hardware?

My budget is $1000 give or take a little. Thanks for the help you guys are the best.

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Minidv gives the best quality picture over all the others and is very easy to transfer to the PC and to put on dvd.

3. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Minidv gives the best quality picture over all the others and is very easy to transfer to the PC and to put on dvd.