1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! how do I convert vhs to dvd?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by jasmine82, Dec 14, 2005.

1. billmex

billmex Guest

i have been thinking of transfering vhs to dvd but in my investigation on how to do it i have found a lot of different ideas, however the canapus adc 300 sounds like a very good system to use. i cannot find it on the net with pricing, can you tell me where and about how much ?
    thanks in advance

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

The ADVC-300 is a Fairly expensive Piece of Hardware, You are Looking at Between $400 and $500 US ,You could get the ADVC-110 which is the Same device Minus the Hardware Image Filters for under $300....
    If you Look onm e-bay there are Qualified Canopus Re-seller on there were you can Pick up these devices for much cheaper than at the Canopus web site....Cheers

3. billmex

billmex Guest

muchas grascias, thanks for the help, i will look on ebay
    bill

4. jpctexas

jpctexas Member

I'm leaning toward purchasing the Canopus 300. But could I accomplish the same quality by purchasing a Sony Digital 8 camcorder that has the ability to play back Hi8 tapes and comes with a pass through feature? For about the same money as the Canopus, I could purchase such a camcorder, which could be used for other things. Does the hardware filtering and other features of the Canopus 300 cause it to give better results? The Canopus web site didn't say anything about pc hardware requirements, just OS requirements. Why is that? Will the Canopus work with older processors? I have 7200 rpm drives with a Firewire card, but only a 600 MHz P3 and a P4 1.8 GHz Celeron.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Canopus ADVC-300 has Digital Noise Filters that Improve the Quality of the Captures and it also has a Built in TBC to help Stabilize the Image and it also has the audio Lock Feature that elimiates the Chance of Sync Problems and it also has a Feature to disable Macrovision so you can record Retail VHS Tapes and None of these Features would be available on a Digital 8 Camcorder with Passthrough.....

The Canopus ADVC-300 will Work on Older systems as Long as they have a Fast Hard drive...The Problems with an Older system mostly come in after the Video has Been Captured as you Need a Pretty Fast PC to edit DV AVI files and you Need a Fast PC to Encode the DV AVI files to Mpeg-2/DVD Format and to author the files to DVD...

You should be able to get away with useing the 1.8ghz Celeron...

You Know you could Upgrade one of your Systems to a 3.0ghz System For under $100 US....You can Buy a New Motherboard with a 3.0ghz CPU (2.93ghz) for about $70 On TigerDirect and they are easy enough to install yourself and would give you a system that is plenty fast enough to do Most any Video Projects and that is a Pretty Cheap price to Upgrade a PC to such a fast system.....

Cheers

6. jpctexas

jpctexas Member

So the analog Hi8 tape is played into the Canopus 300, then the Canopus write DV to the hard drive. How does one go from DV on disk to DVD while maximizing the quality of the DVD?

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Yes You connect your Hi8 To the ADVC-300 and it Digitizes the Analogue Signal and filters it to clean it up and then Compresses it to DV AVI format and Writes it to Your HD....

After you have the Files on your HD you have to Encode the Files to Mpeg-2/DVD format and then author the Files to DVD...

You can use an all in one DVD program Like "Ulead DVD Movie factory" or "Nero Vision Express" but the encoders in those programs aren"t that good so it is better to use a Good Quality standalone Encoder Like "Tmpgenc" or "MainConcept Encoder" to convert the DV AVI files to Mpeg-2 format and then use the DVD authoring program to add your menu"s and Chapters and to Burn it to DVD......

There are some Guides in the Guidfes section that shouyld explain it in More detail....

Cheers

8. vcuozzo

vcuozzo Member

Okay after reading most of the comments I have a better understanding of the capturing stage. The problem I am encountering is that I have an older Panasonic camcorder. I am trying to copy the video onto my pc, edit and burn on a DVD. I am doing this on a Dell Inspiron notebook. I purchased a ADS Video Xpress Video Capture device at Compusa. I have installed the software and powered on the camcorder, however when I play the movie on the camcorder in VCR mode, I cannot get the computer to recognize the video and copy it over. How would I get the computer to recognize the video? Any help would be more than appreciated. Thanks!

9. jpctexas

jpctexas Member

So we need to have decent video software. How good is Sony Vegas Movide Studio + DVD? It is available for free after rebate: http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4559397. But of course, if it's not what is really needed, doesn't do a good job, it is not a good deal even at that price.

10. tubacuba

tubacuba Regular member

i wanted to know how to convert vhs to dvd.the guy who sold me my computer said i need to attach my vcr to da back of the computer using the composite wires or the red white and yellow.(i have that on the back) after i do that how do i record and save the video to my hdd and then burn it to a dvd so its playable on dvd players?
    thank you

11. bigredbus

bigredbus Member

NAW, DUDE...YOU CAN'T DO THAT. Read the previous threads and you will know how to convert your vhs to dvd. Good luck.