1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help!!!! i am so dang confused

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by urmymom, Sep 17, 2002.

1. urmymom

urmymom Member

i am trying to also make a backup of black hawk down:

i am running windows xp

i have the following programs:

nero 5.5.7.2 , dvd copy plus including dvdx, smartripper and vcdeasy

but i am really confused. do i need to download ifoedit and not use the dvdx program? if so is it anyeasier then dvdx?

what are the steps:
    STRIPPING?
    ?
    ?
    WRITING?

in the rip process i see:
    vts_01_1.vob
    vts_01_2.vob
    vts_01_3.vob
    vts_01_4.vob
    vts_01_5.vob
    vts_01_6.vob

and what is ASPI? do i need to download this also? i have a lap top HP 1170 with a cdrw drive

anyhelp would be appreciated, i am hoping to eventually make copies of kids movies i am tired of them destroying them.

off this tread but does anyone know how to backup playstation and playstation 2 games?
    my 6 year old is destroying them....

jackie

Last edited: Sep 17, 2002
  2. DrDVD

DrDVD Member

Jackie,

If you are using VCDEASY to produce VCD/SVCD, you need to be aware that your set-top may not play them. If you only have a CDRW then VCD/SVCD is all you can currently do.
    I have used VCDEASY and it is a very good program. The VCDEASY site should have some guides.
    As for ASPI. Go to the ADAPTEC site and copy down ASPI_V471 and the ASPI checker program. Run ASPI checker on your computer and if the version is 4.70/4.71 your are up to date if it is not then run the ASPI_V471 file. Remember to check all disclaimers on the ADAPTEC site before using, however I have WIN_XP and loaded ASPI_V471 without any problems at all.
    I don't know whar DVDX is but IFOEDIT is for DVD file formats ie VOB. VCD/SVCD do not use VOB files.
    As for PS2. I don't know. Sorry! But search the forum I am sure other people have had similar issues and some bright cookie will know the answer.
    If you can afford a DVD writer/re-writer then it is better than VCD/SVCD. I have a Pioneer 104 and it works fine.
    Go to the NERO site 'www.ahead.com' I think!! You can download the latest version of NERO. As long as you have a valid current copy (and the one you mention is OK) you can update for FREE.
    Hope some of this is of use.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2002
  3. urmymom

urmymom Member

if i use a cdrw then i can't play it on say playstation2? it won't read it?

the steps are?
    ripping?
    Encoding using say ifoedit?
    then using nero make video cd?

can aspi go on any computer?

VCD/SVCD do not use VOB files. what do you mean i got alot of these files? what do i use?

okay and one last question for now. if you get a dvd writer/rewriter then you don't have to go through all this? JUST COPY?

thanks

jackie

4. DrDVD

DrDVD Member

ANSWERS IMBEDDED IN YOUR ORIGINAL TEXT
    ---------------------------------------

if i use a cdrw then i can't play it on say playstation2? it won't read it?

Do you mean PS2 games or do you mean play a DVD on a PS2. If it is a game and it is on CD you should be able to copy it using NERO. Check elsewhere in the forum to locate better info.

the steps are?
    ripping?
    Encoding using say ifoedit?
    then using nero make video cd?

The steps are correct, but IFOEDIT is for DVD files (VOBs).

can aspi go on any computer?
    ASPI can go on any computer providing the Operating System (eg WIN_XP) supports it. The ADAPTEC site will indicate where it should be used.

VCD/SVCD do not use VOB files. what do you mean i got alot of these files? what do i use?

You may start with the VOB (after RIPPING), but you have to convert it to MPEG2. These files are used to make up VCD/SVCD and the format (after burning to disk) is a .DAT file. I wrote myself a little guide, unfortunately only paper copy, but I will have a look through tonight to see if I have missed anything out. It has been a while since I did VCD/SVCD.

okay and one last question for now. if you get a dvd writer/rewriter then you don't have to go through all this? JUST COPY?

Unfortunately not (but you new I was going to say that). DVDs are encrypted. The ripping program removes the encryption. A DVD-R is 4.7GB in size, however only 4.3gb is available when formatted for DVD-VIDEO. Most films when ripped will have a total filesize in excess of 4.3gb (not always, but normally). If it does you use IFOEDIT to strip out unwanted streams. Streams are: SUBTITLES, FOREIGN LANGUAGE SOUNDTRACK and of course EXTRAS. These all increase the size. Hopefully once stripped out the remaining filesize will be within your 4.3gb limit. It will only be the film, but ultimately that will be all we want. If it is still bigger than 4.3gb you will need to split to 2 DVD-R. Again IFOEDIT is the tool for this.
    Finally burn it to DVD-R. Try burning to a DVD-RW first. At least that way if it doesn't work you can always erase and start again without wasting a DVD-R.

5. urmymom

urmymom Member

i've have never had so many problems before in my life with computers. i am normally very computer literate.. but this is insane.....

okay, i made a mpeg (not sure if its mpeg2 though) files that play on the computer only. i tried to use nero to made a vcd and it won't play on the cd.... it wrote on the cd but won't play

The steps are correct, but IFOEDIT is for DVD files (VOBs).

if i don't use ifoedit for dvd then what do i use?

how do i convert to a mpeg2?
    You may start with the VOB (after RIPPING), but you have to convert it to MPEG2. These files are used to make up VCD/SVCD and the format (after burning to disk) is a .DAT file. I wrote myself a little guide, unfortunately only paper copy, but I will have a look through tonight to see if I have missed anything out. It has been a while since I did VCD/SVCD.

if i dont have a dvd-r/rw drive then i cant use a dvd-r? am i supposed to be burning to a dvd or cdr?
    i am trying to use a cd-r disk? if not then thats why its not working....

Finally burn it to DVD-R. Try burning to a DVD-RW first. At least that way if it doesn't work you can always erase and start again without wasting a DVD-R.

6. DrDVD

DrDVD Member

Try this link:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/newbie.htm

There is a lot of information here. But it is supplied by people who know far more than I do. Hopefully you can find all your answers in the one place. When I first burned a VCD/SVCD I used this link. It is an invaluable source of information.

Sorry it doesn't need to be MPEG2. MPEG1 is fine.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Jackie,

To answer one of your last questions, If you don't have a DVD-RW Drive then you can not use a DVD-R disc !

If you have a CD-RW Drive then you must use a CD-R or CD-RW as a media.

If your computer has a DVD-ROM Drive(that's something to play the movies on -

well you are all set to go - you can copy the kids movies using Mini-DVD - that's a DVD and all it's files burned on a CD and it will play in 90% of all standalone players - most anywhere the DVD movie will play, the Mini-DVD will play too.

The following is a single program that works with XP systems (in many cases ifoedit doesn't like our OS)

Let's hit the kitchen and get cooking (assuming you have a DVD-ROM Drive and a CD-RW Drive)

This “Newbie Starter Recipe” is for the most part, is as a complete a package as anyone could wish It’s most outstanding plus factor, it only has 2 parts just 2.

It's second great factor, the guides are picture-by-picture, step-by-step, easy-as-pie.

We will start our dish with a main ingredient of DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5 –
    It's FREE, can do almost everything you could wish in as few as 3 steps - It will rip your movies (gets rid of that “pesky” copy write protection thingy ;-) in generally 20 to 30 minutes, it can be used for your smaller DVD-5’s and it also allows you to compress your larger DVD-9's to the necessary 4.36GB in order to insure a nice burn without encroaching onto the very edge of the disc.

“But wait there’s MORE !!”

For our friends with just a CD burner to work with, this compression thingy can be used to shrink all but your larger DVD-9’s to a size small enough to split and burn onto 2 CD’s in a mini-DVD format. (We’re talkin’ a pretty fair picture here because we’re still working with our VIDEO_TS BUP, VIDEO_TS IFO, and VIDEO_TS VOB files. ;-) Using CD’s now our cost is pennies a movie, how good is good ?

One of the super good guys here on the forum named Afonic has put together a FANTASTIC, can’t be simpler, guide for you with the antsy CD burners to use and here it is: http://users.auth.gr/~ichatzim/minidvd.htm

(Taking a second to grab a breath before shouting out, like that late night
    info-mercial announcer ;-))

“But wait there’s MORE !!”

For those who like the backups “Their way” (a US colloquium, referring to a hamburger from Burger King) it also allows you to tailor your DVD’s. To keep in or remove menus, Director’s comments, extras and trailers (re-author) PLUS it provides you with a nice neat VIDEO_TS folder for you, perfect to have Nero version 6.0.0.23 burn for you.

(Now it’s time to mix in the second and last part ;-)

“OK” you say, wondering why the old guy is sayin’ “Nero 6”.

It’s that mini-DVD thing I mentioned, it’s right there as a choice under the CD heading.
    That’s my reason why, for those who wish to burn CD’s that will play in 90% of the stand-alone DVD players and all Windows PC’s. I also feel that Nero is a top-notched burning program.

Nero 5.5 is good if you’re not interested in mini-DVD’s or consider RecordNow Max ver.4.5 or CloneDVD both are excellent alternative choices. Actually, I use CloneDVD a lot, I like to watch the sheep animation but it doesn’t have that mini-DVD thing included – so that’s why I recommend Nero 6 as the second “must have” starter program.

A complete DVDShrink program download and step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/DVD_Shrink_v3_beta5.htm

A 30 day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

It's a powerful program, easy to use -
    Give it a quick try, you'll have a perfect burn this afternoon, really –

Enjoy, “P”