1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help i have firewire do i need a video capture card!!!

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by badboy187, Oct 6, 2003.

1. badboy187

badboy187 Member

hi im fairly new to this and need to know exactly what i need to put my videos of my analog camera which has a av output only and svideo onto my computer. my computer doesnt have a video capture card)i have geforce mx 420 which has tv out) but does have firewire so does this mean i dont need a video capture card.if i do whats better out of the external boxes like the dazzle dvc 80 or the belkin video bus 11.
    cheers

2. venprods

venprods Member

You have analog video source - your video camera, then you will need a analog video capture card to bring video into your computer. Depending on the video quality you want, many video capture cards out there for it.

3. awesomejt

awesomejt Member

Firewire would only help you if your camcorder was a digital camcorder (MiniDV, MicroDV, etc). However, you COULD find someone with a digital camcorder that supports video in -- hook up the analog camcorder to the digital camcorder and then use the DV port on the ditigal camcorder to hook it up to the Firewire port on your computer -- away you go! I very nice Analog-to-Digital converter -- and usually without the a/v sync issues most people face with taking video in on a graphics card.