1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help I just downloaded a divx movie

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by futerboy, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. futerboy

futerboy Member

Can someone help me please as I am new at this stuff.. I've just downloaded a divx(AIV) movie of the website KaZaA and when I try to play it I get a black screen with no sound.. yet I see the counter clock playing.. whats wrong? I've checked the properties of the movie and under video format: it says Uncompressed i'm not sure what this means can someone please help.. the movie is in two parts do i need to download the second part before I can see any of it??

2. recall383

recall383 Guest

I am having a problem that seems to be very similar to yours. I also downloaded a movie off KaZaA but it seems that I'm in a little bit better shape than you. Every DivX(.avi) file I download has sound but no video..So I'm also looking for an answer to this question...can anyone help?

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

DivX3 SBC file, probably. Try to uninstall your DivX4 and DivX5 codecs and install DivX 3.11 alpha (can be downloaded from our site) and see if it helps.

4. Domrealta

Domrealta Member

i'm having the same trouble that you guys are having too, i tried installing the DivX 3.11 alpha, but it didn't seem to help, i still get a black screen and no sound, any other ideas??

5. walls83

walls83 Guest

let me take a guess. its either spiderman or AoTC.. Right..? Well ive had the same problems and Ive never had a problem watching movies from Kazaa. I think the problems is there just isnt any video, its a bogus .avi file. Just cause theres sound doesnt mean there has to be video. One of the best codex out there that plays everything is "ANGEL POTION" you can download it at kazaa.

6. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

just a note....you have no clue what you are downloading.like Who ripped it ..how did they rip it..what kb rate was used..etc ..etc..and the list goes on..i am not against file sharing..i love it..but you might have to download the same thing from different people like 4 or 5 times just to find a decent file.

7. Inuyasha

Inuyasha Member

Hey,
    I also downloaded a couple of movies from Kazaa and have attempted to play them on three different players and always get picture and no sound.

8. fred77

fred77 Member

I'm having the same problem.
    I am a newbie to video downloading. I can't seem to get the movie to open.It's described as an MPEG and avi file.
    Does Windows Media Player usually open and play them?
    What are other programs I'd find useful?

Thanks,
    fred77

9. ragehail

ragehail Guest

and just to be clear angel potion is junk

10. ragehail

ragehail Guest

the best thing a n00b can do is get filetopia and learn how to use edonkey

11. cruella

cruella Guest

so you dont waste days downloading bogus movies just download about 1% copy it ,rename it avi then open it in virtualdub or tmpgenc then youll see what youve got.Easy

12. yazer

yazer Member

Calm down guys! Every problem has a solution. If the movie's properties show it has an audio track, then it should play a sound track. I got the same problem as you all did and I found the solution. Download Nimo Codec Pack and install the basic codecs (Full install makes conflicts try it on your own risk).
    here is the link:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~nimosiro/
    Your divx movies will play with sound now. Enjoy! :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2002
  13. ^Spike^

^Spike^ Guest

I have to agree with yazer on the subject of the Nimo codec pack...it kicks ass with Windows Media player 9 (latest from Microsoft).I had the exact same problem most of you had and i found Nimo let me watch Movies ALLWAYS :D

14. lumberg4

lumberg4 Guest

15. lumberg4

lumberg4 Guest

*OOPS* get the "CODEC" off the divx website
    i know i had the same problem u get to hear the movie but no pics....this will fix it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.