1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP, I soooo lost here....

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Buzzerd, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Buzzerd

Buzzerd Guest

I open up DVD shrink 3.2 and Open Disc - then I ok the drive for the film but after a few moments this shows up - DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue---failed to read file "D:\"---Data error (cyclic redundancy check)...
    What has happened here??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Dirty or scratched discs can cause the problem. Also, some of the new movies have encryption systems that will trigger the error message. What movie were you trying to record?

3. Buzzerd

Buzzerd Guest

Village & Collateral

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Both fairly recent movies. I've not heard of problems with these, then I don't hear everything. Assuming the discs are clean and not scratched or otherwise damaged, this could be an encryption problem. To check it out, download AnyDVD and let it run while using DVD Shrink. That removes most encryption problems. You can use DVDInfoPro to check the condition of the movie disc to see if there are any errors.

5. Buzzerd

Buzzerd Guest

OK I downloaded dvdinfopro, I do not see anything that can read the disc? Any guides?
    Thanks again

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Note the icons at the top of the window. If you move the cursor over the icons and let it rest there, a box opens and describes the function. The one to the right of RPM has a magnifying glass. Select that one. The dropdown window at lower left lets you select the drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  7. Paesano

Paesano Member

for me the D drive is not where the DVD burner is located mines the E drive sounds stupid but make sure you are using the correct drive

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Paesano
    Have you ever looked at DVDInfoPro? In DVDInfoPro the drives are listed by model and type as well as alpha designation, so it's a "no brainer".

9. riktiktu

riktiktu Guest

Brobear, thanks for explaing to paesano about the icons cause I was having the same difficulty. Speaking of DVD infopro......what does it mean when the status bar message goes from "ready" to "no media present in drive"? This happened after I put a (comp usa...dvd+rw disc in drive D. I then inserted a second (identical) disc into drive E and the same message came up.....but this only happened after I clicked on the erase icons ( I tried them both). I then inserted both discs into both drives figuring
    "this has got to work" but nooooooo.

I was trying (unsuccessfully) to erase my dvd+rw's so I could re-use them. But I can't seem to find a "drop down" file that would walk me through these steps (or any other steps of this program). Help.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

There are 2 icons with pencils. The one with DC only works with some drives. In fact it doesn't work with the one in this PC. However, the icon on the left with the pencil formats and erases. That one I believe works on just about all. Just have the RW in the drive, click the icon and select fast or full format. Fast is usually sufficient. Then click GO to format and let the software run.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  11. brobear

brobear Guest

"no media present in drive" will appear when you start the program without media in the drive. Even when you put the media in the drive, it still reads "no media present in drive" until you make a command selection. For RW erasing and formatting the disc has to be in the burner drive.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

DVDInfoPro is an intuitive program, so just scroll the icons and play with the buttons and you should be an expert in no time.