1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, I'm Making Coasters

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by griz, Nov 6, 2003.

1. griz

griz Member

I've been working on this for a few days now but thus far all I have is a bunch of coasters.

First off, I've followed the online help exactly as posted on 2 different methods for ripping using DVD Shrink. Upon completion of ripping the DVD to the hard drive it gives me the proper message saying the files are now ready to be put to disc.

I then use Nero 6 to burn the DVD. Again, I follow the Nero guide and make sure all settings and the entire process is done exactly as illustrated.

The burn says it was burned successfully but it won't play in ANY DVD players.

Is there a step I'm missing somewhere between making the file smaller and putting it to the hard drive and then putting the files from the hard drive into Nero to burn to disc?

I've read through lots of the stuff on this site. I've tried 3 different techniques now using Shrink (all 3 through step by step guides that I followed exactly) I also tried burning with 2 different pieces of software. First being the crap that came with my DVD burner which was crappy and then Nero 6 which I again followed the guide. Could I be missing something important here?

2. 72morgan

72morgan Regular member

Are you creating and using Audio_Ts and Video_tS folders ???

Is Nero making them for you ???

Your files need to be in the Video_TS folder to work ....

3. griz

griz Member

Nero creates both folders automatically so I'm simply transferring the files to the proper Video folder then burning...just like the online guide through this site says to do.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

What burner do you have? Which media are you using? And are you sure your dvd players can play copied dvds?

5. griz

griz Member

Media tried thus far: TDK +R. Maxell +R and Memorex +R. All the same result. I assume since the media etc is in question I'm not missing some "secret" step in the process. Compressed with Shrink (latest version) from hard drive to Vid folder Nero 6 creates and burn.

The burner is a 4x write LG.

How do I know if my DVD player will play burnt DVD's? Also, my DVD drive on my computer can't play the discs either.

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Do you have a program on your computer to play dvds? The media you are using is fine. Go to this website to see if your dvd players will play burnt dvds http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers_X_X_X_X_X_[small]V4 PS2, flip top, SMD, CDLoader
    Pioneer 105, Memorex 4X DVD-R
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2003
  7. griz

griz Member

My DVD player is on there. It's actually a fairly high end player so it plays pretty much everything right now. I'm going to attempt another media switch to DVD -R and see if that helps.

8. griz

griz Member

My DVD player is on there. It's actually a fairly high end player so it plays pretty much everything right now. I'm going to attempt another media switch to DVD -R and see if that helps.

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Before you which from +r media to -r media, be sure your burner drive supports it. Most are either +r or -r not both. It has to be a dual media drive to handle both.

10. griz

griz Member

I have a dual media drive so either one will work for me.

11. DMW

DMW Regular member

I personally have used Shrink and Nero6 with no problems, but a lot of people do not like Nero or have lots of problems with it. Try something else like RecordnowMAX or Alchohol 120 and see if that works for you. Also do you have and RW discs you could experiment with so you don't make any more coasters.
    Hope it helps.

12. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

So your dvd drive on the computer cant play them either. Can you see the files on the coasters? If you can't it is your burning process, it is not successful even though nero says it was. You may have to check your nero settings.

I use recordnow as I could never get nero to work right.

13. griz

griz Member

Hey all, mucho thanx for the help in this situation. The latest media I've tried worked very well (maxell DVD-R) so for whatever reason my combination of drive and Nero must not like the +R too much for DVD purposes, although I have archived some sessions from home studio on DVD+R and they worked fine. Oh well. Thanx for the input. This site is great by the way, lots of great ideas, great tuts to learn from and lots of helpful people.

14. griz

griz Member

Oh by the way The Matrix and O Brother Where Art Thou are my first two successful burns. Matrix was tough to put onto one disc but I got it there with good quality. Anyone who has used the Shrink software a couple times, move onto this next 'TUT' for some great ideas.
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/mixed-compressions.php