1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: Info and Best DVD Recorder to buy for my needs

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by bigkris23, Nov 4, 2004.

1. bigkris23

bigkris23 Member

Ive already got a dvd burner and back up my dvd's...but im looking to branch out and get a dvd recorder to record some shows to watch later (basically to replace my vhs) and the main use I want it for is to take some homevideos and vhs movies I have a put them on DVD.

There are lots of options out there and various price ranges
    dvd recorder + VHS combo (macrovision issue with the combo type recorder)

dvd recorder and you hook up your own VHS player

dvd recorder + internal harddrives of various sizes

dvd recorders that burn only +r or -r or +rw or -rw or -ram

etc..

I think my needs are best served by purchasing a dvd recorder without harddrive and burn the shows during the week to dvd+rw or dvd-rw that I watch later on during the weekend.

I would want to get a dvd recorder than possibly has vcr+ or some type of programing that makes setting the timer easy. instead of programing start day start time end time...

Also lets say im backing up a VHS movie to dvd and the vhs is 2 hour and 10 min... is there a setting that will record the movie to dvd in the best possible quality mode using all of the dvd instead of setting it on the 4 hour long record mode and it only recording 2 h 10 min of the total 4 hours possible. So the quality would be less than if it had an AUTO mode like some VHS recorders do.

Also lets say I have a VHS home movie and I use the dvd recorder to record it in +r format. And I want to make a copy of that +r to a -r so that its compatible for a friends dvd player. Will my cpu Roxio easy cd and dvd creator 6 disk copier copy it? (I assume it would as ive used it in similar ways before)

also what about an All In Wonder Video card? Would that be a better option some have tv tuners and so forth...and That would mean I could turn vhs into svcd and have more options right?

any and all info is appreciated on who what when where and how..Links, What not to get, what to look out for, deals etc....

Thanks A Million

2. bigkris23

bigkris23 Member

anyone?

bump

3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hi bigkris23, I have a cyberhome standalone dvd recorder. I got my first one in feb.04. It burned up in a week. It was only $250 then. I got a replacement 1 week later. It is a finichy unit so you may want to stay away from this brand. It only comes with a 90 day warranty. I have noticed the prices have come down considerably the last 6 months. Good luck in your search.

5. B52VET

B52VET Member

I also have a Lite-On 5005 and it has done everything I've wanted to do. I record TV shows on +RW to watch at another time, and I have also copied anything I wanted to keep on a +R disk using my PC. I've used Memorex and Fujifilm with no problems so far. The remote is kind of clunky with its small buttons, but the recorder is fairly easy to program.