1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help making dvds

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Alex566, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex566

Alex566 Member

I have these files that i want to put on a dvd, i have converted them to dvd format already but when i try to burn it, it says i dont have any disks in my computer, when i have a dvd empty disk in there. i think my comp has a dvd burner but im not sure, i can make dvds on a diffrent comp but not mine

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Your dvd drive may just need a firmware update to recognise the new dics you're using.

What make/model is your drive?

What brand are the discs you're using?

3. Suba

Suba Regular member

Yes you can.
    You will have to somehow transfer files to that computer.
    If you have DVD format, you should have folder with AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS in it. Video_Ts will have all video files in it Audio will be empty.
    You will have to get those folders to other computer and than you can burn there.
    If you use image file it will be only one file but size will be same as Video folder.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

We haven't even established if he has or hasn't got a dvd burner. Hold your horses already!
    Also, it's not very practical transferring files accross from pc to pc every time he wishes to burn a dvd (the other PC may not even be his own). Further to this, you didn't even mention how he could do it, so what exactly was the point in your post?

5. Suba

Suba Regular member

I think this time in a century people know how to copy files.
    I said somehow, because file will be about 4.5GB if it is full one side DVD.
    The question also was, can it be done on other computer.

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'd like to point out that you are digging yourself a deeper hole post by post.

Firstly, no, you'd be surprised.

What good is somehow? Flash drives can hold upto sumin like 10GBs these days, so.. And btw, it's more like 4.38GB.

No, the question wasn't "can it be done on another computer". read his post..
    He says he "can make dvds on a different comp". He doesnt ask "if he can make dvds on a different comp".

However, your point stands that if he doesn't have a burner in this PC, he can transfer them and burn, but you're still jumping the gun.

7. Alex566

Alex566 Member

Okay, I have my movies with the video and audio folders or whatever, my disk brand is memorex dvd+r and they hold 4.7gb. the other computer is at my dads house which i don't go very often and i dont really want to go to my dads everytime i want to make a movie, my comp is a dell, windows xp 2005 so i was thinking it would have a dvd burner

8. maxwell_x

maxwell_x Member

seems to be a few solutions.
    1 start doing the dvd work on the comp that can burn or
    2 switch the working burner to the comp in question or
    3 do what suba suggests: "somehow" transfer the data.
    in my case, "somehow" is through a network cable. (the burner on my main comp died after a long, productive life.) it's a pain in the a** but easier than switching the burners. it takes a little over an hour. i spend days or even weeks putting together a dvd - editing avi's, creating vobs, importing them into dl2, making menus, creating chapters.... so, what's an axtra hour or so.

9. Alex566

Alex566 Member

Ok but i dont want to make them at my other house it would be too painful

10. maxwell_x

maxwell_x Member

sorry - wrote the above before alex466's last post - didn't know other comp was clear across town - that would be one hell of a long network cable.

11. Alex566

Alex566 Member

oops i forgot to mention that in the first post but i dont think anything is wrong with the files but it might be there software im using, ive tryed imgburn, anydvd, copytodvd and dvd shrink i would try dvd decrypter but its not available anymore..so any other ideas?

12. Alex566

Alex566 Member

Like when i try to use copytodvd it says please insert a media, and with anydvd it just says no disk

13. maxwell_x

maxwell_x Member

too bad you can't edit - second time i posted and went back to find out you already posted back. sorry for the alex466, meant alex 566. you said you weren't sure you even had a burner. first you need to ascertain that. if you're running xp, it should say under the drive letter (maybe '98 too ; it's been awhile.) if you have one, ripper's idea is a good one - flash the firmware. if you do, be carefull. make sure it's the right firmware, don't screw with comp during upgrade etc. also, a lot of firmware wants the burner to be secondary master and alone on cable.

try different media. i'm a firm believer in -r as opposed to +r. also, i recently bought some memorexes at kmart cuz they were on sale. brought them home and found out they were cmc's - about the worse there is. brought them back. i used to use fujis - they made them and no bad burns. started getting bad burns and found out they had switched to prodisc. kept getting them anyway and started getting a lot of bad burns. turned out, they were now being made by ritek (maybe the only manufacturer worse that cmc.) am now using sonys (dvd-r in gold package) ; they make their own (sony08d1)and i haven't had any bad burns. you might try those.

as a last resort, buy a new burner (or if what you have isn't a burner, replace it with a burner).

14. Suba

Suba Regular member

Ok it is a Dell, but is it desktop or laptop.
    If it is desktop you should be able to read DVD brand name.
    In case of laptop it sometime does not say much on outside, but there should be some kind of marking on it to indicate what it is.
    If it is laptop and you can ply DVD, it it may not be burner drive.
    To check what it is.
    If you have Nero installed click on Get System Information.
    If you run WinXP go to Program-Accessories-System tool-System Information, it will open screen with info on OS, on left side of window click to expand Components than click-CDROM, it will give you model of your drive an under PNP Device ID it will tell you what you have.

15. maxwell_x

maxwell_x Member

i must have a few dozen apps i use but only two in your list - dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. dvd decrypter gives you info on your drive but dvd shrink doesn't. do you have nero? if so, in nero's tool kit is, "nero infotool" ; it will tell you what you have and whether it's a burner or not. also, i don't know if it's frowned upon here but if you send me your email, i'll send you dvd decrypter. i'll also send nero's info tool (i'm pretty sure it will run as a standalone.) if you want to do that, my email's [removed]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  16. Alex566

Alex566 Member

Okay my email is [removed] i just got nero and thought it was going to work but then again it said no disk in drive..

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  17. maxwell_x

maxwell_x Member

okay, just sent it. after you install it, launch it and go to tools=>drive=>capabilities. it will tell you everything your burner can and can't read/write. (if all the "writes" say no then you don't have a burner.) if you do have a burner, it may not be able to burn dvd+r's. i'd still get -r's either way. the first discs i ever bought were phillpips dvd+r. brought a movie i burnt to a friend's house and it wouldn't play. it played on another friend's and on my comp. dvd-r's are more likely to play on more dvd players/roms/burners that dvd+r. unless it's changed, the dvdforum doesn't even recognise the +r format.

18. Alex566

Alex566 Member

I didnt get it..

19. maxwell_x

maxwell_x Member

okay, sent it again ; if you don't get it, check to make sure the email in the post is right. i know i got it right cuz i copied-and-pasted.

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Had you read the forum rules you agreed to you'd know posting email addies isn't allowed.

Also, the point of a forum is to post information and troubleshooting help for everyone to see so coming here and wanting to help folks through email is entirely counterproductive.

The initial problem Alex was having is that his drive wasn't recognizing the media and amazingly enough this thread has made it almost twenty posts without any of us knowing the make and model drive involved! Until we know the make and model it's thoroughly pointless to go any further yet I've already seen suggestions for wasting money on new media and even possibly buying a new drive!

Ripper's first three questions are the exact ones that need to be asnswered first before it makes any sense to move forward in the troubleshooting process. Suba and Maxwell, we really appreciate everyone's willingness to help but you fellas needn't have jumped in till the basics were answered. Problems need to be solved in a logical and orderly manner otherwise we may have Alex out buying a stack of +R's he can't use because he has a CD/RW in his PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.