1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help making dvds

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Alex566, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Firstly, thank you Neph for sorting this mess out.

Now, read the above Alex. If you would like to answer my questions so we can get somewhere with solving your problem, then I'm more than willing to help (provided suba and Maxwell_x keep a lid on it for a few posts; no offense).

It's up to you, though.

2. Alex566

Alex566 Member

Your dvd drive may just need a firmware update to recognise the new dics you're using.

What make/model is your drive?

What brand are the discs you're using?

I already tried to answer them but my computer is a dell dimension E310 Windows XP 2005 media edition and the brand of disks is memorex dvd+r, and i don't know where to get a firmware update so if anyone could tell me it would help alot, thanks in advance

3. Alex566

Alex566 Member

Oops i forgot to mention it's a desktop pc not a laptop, sorry for double post i dont know how to edit.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

rightclick on your drive in My Computer and get the brand/model there.

don't use memorex, they're crap. go to Walmart and buy something stamped in japan.

+r, -r, it doesn't matter. -r works in older players when +r won't, but +r is easily booktyped and then will read in *any* player.

5. Alex566

Alex566 Member

K I right clicked it and went to properties and got this

Name------------------------Type
    WDC WD800JD-75MSA1--------Disk drives
    Floppy disk drive---------------Floppy disk...
    TSSTcorp CD-ROM TS-H192C---DVD/CD-R...
    TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSH492B--DVD/CD-R...

hopefully that helps

6. maxwell_x

maxwell_x Member

first - ripper

if there's anything more arrogant that quoting yourself, it's telling others who are trying to share the benefit of their experience to "put a lid on it", but then, your arrogance is apparent throughout this whole thread starting with telling suba "you are digging yourself a deeper hole post by post" and "no, you'd be surprised". (btw - if you're 8 or 9 years old, please disregard these criticisms as your behavior would be appropriate for your age.) there is no correlation between the length of time a person has been with a forum and the amount of knowlege and experience that person posesses on the given subject. i've created dvd's with very complicated structures, finding innovative ways to impliment some of the vast techniques available and the same can be said for avi editing. there's probably a lot you know that i don't and a lot i know that you don't. let me share one now: there aren't "more like 4.38GB" of data on a dvd5, it's 4.35, determined by the binary method used by computers of calculating disc capacity as opposed to the 4.7 figure claimed by the manufacturers who market them using the decimal system.

next - Nephilim

first: sorry about breaking the rules. you're right, i didn't read them but then, who does. (note, i didn't say "who should", i said who "who does") not just forum rules ; when was the last time you read the eula before clicking "agree". you pretty much know what's in there and i was pretty sure about posting my email but i wanted alex566 to have dvd decrypter - it's hard to find now.
    also, with all due respect, i don't think you read through the posts thoroughly. in the first post where i addressed alex566 directly, i said that the first thing he had to do was ascertain whether or not he had a burner at all since, in his initial post, he stated uncertainty. in a later post, suba offered specific steps to alex566 in determining exactly what he had. then further on i explained how to determine the burners capabilities using dvd decrypter. no one suggested that he foolishly run out and buy a new burner or media before exploring the cost-free steps first.

i think we all want to help alex566 out as we all love dvd editing and want him to share that enjoyment. it's abhorrent to chastise someone who's only motivation is to help someone out.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

one drive is a cd-rom, the other drive is a cd burner/dvd-rom combo drive. you don't have a dvd burner.

max, your counterattacks are producing no positive results. i'd go with the "put a lid on it" advice for a while, if i were you.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  8. maxwell_x

maxwell_x Member

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

way to post redundantly. :p

10. Alex566

Alex566 Member

Yeah I just ran a system check with nero and found out none of my drives support any dvds, just cds so much would would it to buy a dvd burner and how do i install it?

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

just buy a good drive, and pop it in. easy as pie.

guides are all over the net. please search and come up with actual problems before posting, as spoon-feeding around here is like trying to run Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on a linux computer---it just ain't supported.

12. Alex566

Alex566 Member

K thanks everyone but I have one more question, is it possible to download a drive? Since it's on a disk it's seems like you could.

13. maxwell_x

maxwell_x Member

auslander - possitive results are not acchieved by counterattacks, true, but the same can be said for the initial attacks. i will always reserve the right to defend myself.

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

alex: that's like trying to download a monitor or...a leg. it's physical hardware, man. you could download firmware, but if your drive doesn't have the physical capability to burn, it won't help.

max: participating in pointless squabbles, whether as an antagonizer or as one defending his name, you'll still eventually get banned.

15. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

It is amazing how useless this thread turned out to be. alex I would like to apologize, but as Auslander stated you don't have a DVD burner so you will not be able to burn your DVD's.

16. maxwell_x

maxwell_x Member

alex566, i'm not sure i know what you mean by "download a drive". if you mean a driver, upgrade or some other kind of software to modify your drive to be able to burn dvd's, unfortunately, the answer is no. it just doesn't have the capability. you're gonna have to replace it with a burner. here in sunny fla, they go for around fifty bucks.

17. Alex566

Alex566 Member

Well i googled dvd burner and it was mostly software and u said all you have to do is "pop it in" and i assumed u meant a disk.

18. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

all his questions are answered in 15 seconds with a search. hence, i request this thread be closed.

*edit*
    it's okay, alex. just buy a drive, find a guide to install it, and burn away.

oh yeah, get some decent discs, too.

19. Alex566

Alex566 Member

Okay thanks, i have no more questions so this thread can be closed

20. maxwell_x

maxwell_x Member

auslander, again, you're right - 100% so. i've seen countless threads gradually go way off topic with people exchanging jabs while the person who originally posted gets no help. but, i say again, i will always respond to a personal attack ; i always have, both here in cyberspace and in the real world. if that will get me banned after coming here for years, that's unfortunate. of all the dvd/video forums i belong to, afterdawn is, by far, my favorite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.