1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me build a ~$650 P.C

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Ps3DsLite, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Ps3DsLite

Ps3DsLite Member

Well the Original is still OUT OF STOCK and I have ethernet directly from my router, so I don't need Wireless.
    Should I wait? Or should I order?
    I don't know because they're not going to ship today any way, Do you think any deals will pop up?

2. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Create an account. Log in. Then put it in your shopping cart. It's still there. But put it in your cart now to make sure.

Everything is pretty safe. The potential savings I see if you order within a week is $30.

If you do not need it ASAP, then the motherboard (the Gigabyte), the PSU, the RAM, and the Video card you should buy today.

If you order today, you will probably get the Components by Friday.

But, the build looks very good. The only part I think there is not a rush to buy is the CPU. I bought the retail version for $2 more on Wednesday. So really, the only difference if you wait would be hoping to get a retail CPU. I think the retail comes with a longer warranty (I might be wrong). However, I would guess that the warranty is void if you overclock (I could be wrong again).

Basically, this is a very good PC. It is cheaper than what I bought two days ago and pretty much the same, except you also bought an HDD, Keyboard, Card Reader, and DVD Drive and still paid less :p

3. Ps3DsLite

Ps3DsLite Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH MAN!!! YOU helped insane amounts!! I will buy the stuff tomorrow, so I'll continue this thread tomorrow.
    Right now though, I must play the Killzone 2 Beta before it ends on Sunday!!

4. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Ok. Have fun!!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

DO NOT BUY THAT POWER SUPPLY
    It only fits Dell PCs.

6. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

7. Ps3DsLite

Ps3DsLite Member

8. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Swap the PSU for a Corsair or PCP&P (non Dell - sorry once again for the bad link). They will be much more reliable and the price does not change. Also, they will consume less power since they are more efficient. Basically, it will take 813 Watts of input power for the OCZ to produce 600 Watts and 723 Watts from a better one to produce the same power.

813 - 723 = 90 Watts = .09 KW

.09 x $0.14/KWH x 6 x 365 = $28 a year in savings with estimated use at 6 hours per day. If it were 24 hours per day average, it would save you $110 per year in energy.

Also, inefficient PSUs will break down faster causing them to supply inadequate power to your valuable components. This increases the risk of a component failing or being destroyed. It also increases the risk of fire (although this is pretty low).

Either one that I linked in the previous post will be better.

Are you still not able to get the Gigabyte motherboard? It still shows available for me.

Edit: It seems like the Gigabyte board has better cooling, but both are of similar quality. I can research more if you like.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It doesn't show available for me. You sure you're looking at the right board?
    Agreed on the OCZ unit, they're OK, but I don't trust their long-term longevity, or voltage regulation.

10. Ps3DsLite

Ps3DsLite Member

Anything cheaper? I have to go somewhere, but I will be back in a few hours(2-3). I will make my final transaction then. Thank you?
    The cheapest PSU you said doesn't have any PCI-E connectors

11. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

I see 1 PCIe connector on the 420 Watt PSU. Here's the official specs on it:

http://www.pcpower.com/products/description/Silencer_420_ATX/index.html

I just noticed that the site shows the weight. The 610W is 7 pounds!

If you are planning on doing Crossfire in the future, you might as well pick up the 610 version since it's the same as the 500 watt in price.

@sammorris:

After logging out it went to auto-notify :p I guess I was holding the last one in my cart.

12. Ps3DsLite

Ps3DsLite Member

Just came back........Looks like 2 more things are Out of stock!, I'm buying immediately but what about the case and Video Card?

13. Ps3DsLite

Ps3DsLite Member

14. Ps3DsLite

Ps3DsLite Member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I had a Thermaltake Toughpower, they're good, but they're incredibly noisy, so if you dislike a loud PC, don't buy. The same goes for the graphics card, I had one with a very similar fan and it actually gave me migraine-like headaches it was so bad. I personally would find a different combo to save my sanity...

The NZXT Guardian is a nice (and quiet) case if you like stuff like that, I have no problems with that.

Graphics card and PSU I would choose:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102802
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

That card works out cheap despite the fact it's the 1GB version, and that PSU is nice and quiet and more importantly, reliable.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Also, I can't help but notice you still have the OCZ Reaper RAM listed, I read of issues with OCZ RAM, regarding both compatibility and reliability at its rated speeds. I strongly suggest swapping it out for Corsair XMS2 or G-Skill RAM. It pays to be slow and cautious about a build to get the right stuff.

17. Ps3DsLite

Ps3DsLite Member

Is there a PSU in which I can Xfire later?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

heh, you ought to say Crossfire. XFire generally refers to the game-client program.
    I tend not to recommend dual graphics to many people, as they always intend to upgrade 'later' when their system finally can't handle later games. By the time that happens, it is far more cost effective to just buy one newer card rather than add one of what they already have, which will almost certainly have gone out of production, or be overpriced compared to newer, better stuff.

19. Ps3DsLite

Ps3DsLite Member

Cool! A better GPX CArd and better PSU for less!
    I can throw in a Keyboard and mouse now!!

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What does?