1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me decide which burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by cornflake, Jan 6, 2004.

1. cornflake

cornflake Member

Hello, which burner do you think I should get. I will be backing up DVD movies and PS2 games. The choice will be between a Pioneer AO6 and a Liteon LDW-411, both have +/- formats, I am going to be going external which will acutally be an internal drive with a external case with IDE to USB interface. I can get the Pioneer setup with External case for 169.00 shipped, and the Liteon for 150.00 shipped, what are your opinions as far as functionability and I would like to have a good assortment of useable media, what media do you guys have good luck with with either RW? Thanks

2. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

I always thought pioneer was good. In my opinion, if your looking for better bran, go pioneer. Not sure, just my opinion. Don't quote me on that. And for media, i make backups of ps2 games and dvd's with memorex 4x(just remember, burning ps2 games, its better to go slow, so just pick write 2.4x and you should be good, but i burn dvd movies at full 4x. Great playback. DVDXCOPY i use for dvd's and Recordnow max i use for ps2(make global image, READ = SLOW, and Write = MINIMUM). Clonedvd and dvd decrypter i also heard was good. And the other media i ever used was verbatim( EXPENSIVE, i only got it because i found a really good coupon code a while ago and bought 50 for $55 but they are worth it) I heard of a media BeAll at meritline.com were real cheap and im not sure if they are good but you get 60 days and if they arent what you expected you can ship em back. I am gonna be buying them sometime to see if they work well, so they would be the cheapest- but i never bought them before. Hope this helps.

duboy1

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It's hard to go wrong with a Pioneer DVD burner. My first one was a 104 and I never had any problems with it. On the other hand, I think the LiteOn is a 2 sheep burner. If you also want to use this drive as a CD burner you should probably go with the LiteOn. If you already have a 2 sheep CD burner, the Pioneer might be a better choice.

4. drchips

drchips Active member

vurbal,

do you cook your mutton chops in your burner, or is the "2 sheep" reference a secret message to baabaa??

;-)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2004
  5. vurbal

Isn't that what burners are for? Actually 2 sheep is a designation for drives that can make working backup copies of copy protected software that don't need a virtual drive with some kind of emulation to work.

6. drchips

drchips Active member

Ahhh!

A term I have never heard of before.

Where can I learn about this?

A URL, please.

7. vurbal

Rating a burner according to a number of sheep was developed for CloneCD. When Elby owned CloneCD they had a site you could go to to look up drives to see what kind of backups you could do and the drive features were rated in sheep. The information moved to a site unrelated to the software and is now rated with numbers.

A basic explanation can be found here:
    http://clone.cd/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2661

The new home for the new list is here:
    http://www.makeabackup.com/modules.php?name=Burner_Attributes