1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me find the right media...please!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dakna, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Dakna

Dakna Member

I have a HP DVD640 Burner DVD+R DL

I purchased Verbatim 2.4X Double Layer DVD+R DL
    discs to use and my player will not burn onto them.

I figure the media is just incompatible with my player.

I can burn onto Memorex single layer discs just fine.

SO, should I go the Memorex DL route?... or is there any one out there who has this player and uses DL and can tell me which media they use.

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

What burning program r u using?

Also i would stay far away from Memorex.

What player r u talking about?

Ur dvd burner or a Standalone dvd player?

u might need to update ur firmware.

link for frimwares
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

3. GambitRox

GambitRox Member

Agreed, don't even look at the Memorex ones. Verbatim is a great brand, and one of the best you can get at regular stores. It might be either your drive or the software you are using. What is the program called?

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You can't stick a DL in and have it burn automatically. Most software is set to default with DVD5 and DVD9 (DL) has to be selected in the settings. Sometimes those settings aren't obvious. So, what software is being used and did you set it for DL when you went to record with a DL disc?

5. Dakna

Dakna Member

I use RipIt4Me, to Rip to ISO via DVD Decrypter.

I use DVD Shrink to compress, because I am currently using Single Layer discs.

Then use DVD Decrypter to burn ( have tried Sonic Record Now, Also ImgBurn to no avail with the DL discs I have )

I have updated to the newest Firmware and I have set the disc/image to DVD-9 and DVD-5 depeding on what disc I plan on burning to. No DVD DL burn has gone through.

What is the best DL DVD to try?

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

With RI4M it's best to have it set to file mode. I've seen errors caused because of a problem with RI4M trying to create PSL files and having a conflict with the ISO mode. Shrink can still handle the files just as well and create the ISO needed to burn with DVD Decrypter.

I've always used Verbatim +R DL. I've used Shrink to set up the burn as well as Nero Recode and I've also used ImgBurn as a burner with Shrink.

7. Dakna

Dakna Member

"""With RI4M it's best to have it set to file mode"""

File mode? The options available are:
    Full DVD ; Movie and Menus ; Movie only ; ISO

You meant the ripping options, correct, in Ripit4me?

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

File mode under the Mode setting in DVD Decrypter. I wasn't talking about the output settings for RI4M.

9. CROWDADDY

CROWDADDY Member

I have used TDK 16X DVDS to Backup my DVD'S, no problems at all and very fast. I am new to this also and have very good success with TDK, about 20 minutes start to finish using Shrink to Backup. DVD -R are my prefered choice.
    Hope this helps.

10. CROWDADDY

CROWDADDY Member

I have used TDK 16X DVDS to Backup my DVD'S, no problems at all and very fast. I am new to this also and have very good success with TDK, about 20 minutes start to finish using Shrink to Backup. DVD -R are my prefered choice.
    Hope this helps.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You sure have me beat. It takes me over 10 minutes to do the burn alone. That's blazing fast. I've got a 2.4GHz AMD dual core OCed to 2.7GHz that I thought was fast and that makes it look like it's running in reverse. A friend of mine has one of the new Conroes OCed and he's not that fast. What are you using? I'd have to have a hyper drive to go that fast.

12. CROWDADDY

CROWDADDY Member

Thanks for your inquiry Pacman,

I actually have a E machine by Gateway, 512 memory and a 149 Gig hard drive. I use DVD shrink to bakcup my DVD about 18-20 minutes, and a then a 6 minute burn, so I guess I stretched the truth slightly (about 5 minutes). I am very happy with my speed. I do occasianaly experience the DMA driver reset issue, no big deal though. (secondary driver slips to PIO)

PS: I am brand new to this site and really enjoy the comments in the forum.

I have one question, how do I include my profile picture in my replies in the forum? Could you help?
    Thanks,
    Crowdaddy

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

When you get a chance, and if you like any of the titles, let us know your times on Talladega Nights and Saw 3 doing full DVD. You might find you need a little more than Shrink. Shrink can't do the newer movies with ARccOS and Puppetlock copy protection. You'll find times will vary according to the DVD being backed up. Also Shrink requires Quality Settings when the files are large. That slows down the process as well. I can do a complete backup of some movies using AnyDVD and DVDCopy 5 in about 15 to 20 minutes depending on content. That's the whole job. It took 50 minutes with Saw 3 using RI4M and DVDCopy 5. It's not a race, but times vary according to a number of variables.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  14. CROWDADDY

CROWDADDY Member

Thank you very much for your response, this is great information to know. Now I understand the difference with other software programs to use to backup.

I will check into some of my other options to backup if troubles.

Take Care,
    Crowdaddy

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome. I did a little tutorial on the Saw III thread for RipIt4Me with Shrink to transcode. I even added a picture or two. If you're not familiar with RipIt4Me, you might want to give it a look.

16. CROWDADDY

CROWDADDY Member

Thanks Pac,

This is Great!

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome.

One nice trick I leaned from LUK's group with ImgBurn is that you can swap and rename some files and have Shrink supporting ImgBurn instead of DVD Decrypter during the burn process. It's simple, you rename the DVDDecrypter.exe to something like DVD Decrypter Real.exe (suggested by the ImgBurn forum). Then Copy the ImgBurn.exe file and Paste a copy in the DVD Decrypter program files. Rename it to DVDDecrypter.exe. Your Windows may not be showing the .exe extension, so if you don't see it just rename the ImgBurn to DVDDecrypter. Then change the shortcut path to the real DVD Decrypter in Properties (right click the DVD Decrypter shortcut icon on the Desktop, that will also change it in All Programs). Just type the name of whatever you changed DVDDecrypter.exe to in the path in Target and click Apply. That way you have speed control of the burn which is missing in DVD Decrypter.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Dakna: What's the exact model #?

HP has about 3 or 4 640 drives. I have the 640C. There's also the 640e and 640i-all of them a quite different. The 640c is a ligit HP drive and I believe one of the other 2 is the Rebadged Benq 1655.

Locate the current firmware version and post back.

HP sucks when it comes to issueing firmware updates. I've been waiting for 1 for my HP 640c for over a year and a half.

+R DL is also an entirely different format. Some stand alone players may not recognize them when you insert them- No disc,Dirty disc,Wrong region,Wrong format type of error messages. DL backups definitely need booktyped to help this issue. HP does not support booktyping,but that Benq rebadged HP drive may support it. Make sure the dvd-rw drive that burns a backup,plays it ok during playback on the pc-using the same burner to do the playing.

Verbatim is the best DL media out there.

When backing up single layer media using dvd shrink: Are you burning with nero,copytodvd,or dvd decrypter? in Dvd shrink, After you click Backup, look at Select backup target,click on V to the right of your burner and see what is checkmarked. Whatever the black checkmark is-that's whats doing the burning. Let us know what yours says. I need to rule out if you have autoburn with nero 6 ticked. That will definitely give you issues with DL backups because it has difficulty with the layer break.

DL Backups:

Rip using dvd decrypter's Mode ISO read to harddrive. Remember where those files go. Open up ImgBurn,locate that movie,click the MDS files,open,set burn speed and burn away. Unless it's got the newer encryption-then you'll have to go another route.

Some processes work great on single layer media,but not DL media. DL backups are a 1:1 copy,so no compression is needed. No compression,no need to go through dvd shrink.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Why not let Shrink support ImgBurn (which has no problems with the layer break)?