1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me pick a CD-R brand

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Valkerion, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Valkerion

Valkerion Guest

I heard Ritek and Prodisc are pretty good alternatives to Taiyo's. Since im trying to save afew bucks with college starting soon I was wondering if someone could recomend which brand too buy.

Im mostly using these for audio but will need afew for, data storage, and game files (DC/PSX backups).

Here are the deals i was looking at.

http://www.burnsmart.com/riri52xinhub.html

http://www.burnsmart.com/tayu52x8070c.html

http://www.burnsmart.com/pr52x8070ssc.html

I dont need too many, cause i can see the 50 pack lasting me a long time and a 100 pack probly more than a year. But I mostly want to know whould you guys recomend these cheaper brands over the TY's for what i need them for or just suck it up and get the TYs?

P.S. if anyone knows a cheaper place please tell me.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I'd stick with the TY's. They've latest the longest for me - then some of the others brands I've used.

You can check out supermediastore. There a few bucks more though but have free shipping. Might be cheaper then burnsmart. I've never used Burnsmart so I don't know how good they are.

3. Valkerion

Valkerion Guest

thanks, im going with the Taiyo's from the site you recomended, there 5 bucks cheaper in all. I needed some 700mb/80min and both sites had the same ones listed so i went with the cheaper one. Plus your site looked better haha.

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Not a problem Valkerion.

I use SMS alot - I trust them and hey you're saving 5 bucks too!

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

There should be little difference between Ritek, Prodisc, and Taiyo Yuden in terms of CD-R quality. Ritek and Prodisc use a more light/heat stable dye in the phthalocyanine dye they use while Taiyo Yuden continues to use their cyanine dye. That will make a difference 25 or 30 years from now, if that matters.

6. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

If you are looking to keep them around for a while, verbatim is a great deal, as you don't have to re-burn the same disc every six months.

7. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Since all the discs mentioned except Taiyo Yuden use phthalocyanine dye, they should all last a good deal longer than 6 months. In fact, CMC manufactures the Verbatim discs, often using their own ATIP codes. Taiyo Yuden uses a cyanine dye of their own manufacture, and that dye will not last as long in the heat or light according to environmental testing. All of them should last longer than 20 years if properly stored and handled.