1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me please - DVD playback issue

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by scouse101, Aug 13, 2007.

1. scouse101

scouse101 Member

Hi guys,

First post here so bear with me. I have hit a real problem with my homebuilt games PC. I have installed Intervideo WinDVD and PowerDVD, and neither will play any DVDs without the video and audio being jerky - too bad to watch. I can play the same DVDs in VideoLan with no issues - the DVDs are proper shop ones, not pirates or rips or anything. My mchine is not chock full of codecs, and I have also used the Windows XP Video Decoder Check utility to set my preferred codec for Media player - I have tried the NVIDIA Video Decoder in there - again the same issue. It is almost as if there is a hardware issue, yet DMA is enabled, and VideoLan works.

I have done loads of testing - changed the audio card, updated the video drivers to the latest etc. Still exactly the same jerky playback for all players - the frames are dropped and I guess I get to see a few seconds for every 10 or so.

Hardware is as follows:

Case - Antec P180
    Videocard - ATI Radeon X1800
    RAM - 2 Gig
    Mboard - ASUS P5B deluxe
    RAM - 2 Gig fast OCZ
    Audio - Add on card - good one

I have two DVD drives in the system, and both exhibit exactly the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

Anyone got any clue?

2. scouse101

scouse101 Member

by the way - media player is version 11, and CPU usage is less than 5% when player is going......