1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dadvdman, Nov 21, 2004.

1. dadvdman

dadvdman Member

Hi all,

I'm very new to this. I have tossed about 25 disks that are now unreadable, by trying everything that I have read.

Here is my problem, I bought an Optorite DVD Recorder that came bundled with Nero 6 Express. I have downloaded all of the updates from Nero. Now I can burn a dvd from AVI video files by using WinAVI converter. But I can not burn any video files that have been saved in MPEG format. I have tried converters that I found on the net, I have tried converting to AVI and then using WinAVI to convert, but nothing works.

I thought Nero would convert files for me, but it tells me that not compatible file found, when I try to burn an AVI or MPEG file with it. Is this because I have the Express version?

Also I can not burn a audio cd with Nreo. Not sure if it matters or means anything, but after burning it says burned succesful at 32X, but when I try to play it, the disk player reads no disk. Much the same way my DVD player acts....

Please help, I have read all that I can find, but I really can't seem to find the anwsers.....

Thanks,
    Tom

2. brobear

brobear Guest

First of all, what are you trying to record, factory movie DVDs or other types of material?

Without going into what you have with the OEM Nero version, I'll just say it is usually best to upgrade to the full version. The new 6.6 is a good upgrade over previous versions. Plus, it also has the recording app, Recode2 (good DVD video recording app). You'll have to take out the serial number to get the full trial to work, you can get the full trial for 30 days. Don't load the InCD and if you have it on your system already, delete it. (Packet writing software is a problem with DVD recording apps.) Do the full trial and see if it will do the job for you. BTW, Nero has user guides on their website.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

You may want to just delete the current version you have loaded, Nero Express, and then load the full trial version. By installing your serial number at the end of the trial, it will revert to the version you now have (that is unless you purchase the full version). The additional apps will just stop showing up with the old serial installed.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

I forgot to mention, the number of trials is currently unlimited. But that route entails a new download for every 30 days.

5. dadvdman

dadvdman Member

I trying to burn some videos that I created, and RC car action bideos that I downloaded from the net. As I said I have manged to get aVI files to work, but have had no luck at all with MPEGs. I was looking to download MPEGs because I had thought that was a direct conversion or burn for DVDs but I guess I was wrong.

Any idea where I can get the full version od Nero 6.6?

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Just google for the Nero website, AD messes up the URL if I insert it (priority settings of AD codes). I'll mispell Nero to Niro and insert it. Copy the URL to the browser and change the spelling back to nero and enter (otherwise you'll go to the Niro website). http://www.niro.com

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2004
  7. dadvdman

dadvdman Member

So the full version of Nero will do what I need? If so I will just head out and buy it today....

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Before you spend your bucks, do the trial and read the guides you find at the Nero site. Then you'll know from practical experience if it works or not. That's what the trial is all about.

When you start working with Nero, you will also be able to ask specific operational questions as opposed to general ones like how does it work. But first of all check the site literature for which programs will do what functions and make sure they will do what you want, before wasting time trying to make them work when they won't. There is a lot to Nero, so learn to use the parts you need first and then experiment and learn the others.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

10. dadvdman

dadvdman Member

Well I have downloaded Nero 6.6 and I'm still ruining disks. I'm still able to burn avi files without problems, but also I'm still having no luck with the mpeg files. Nero seems to convert them just fine, but when I burn them they still won't play in a stand alone dvd player. I read somewhere else on this site that you need to author the dvd first, can any tell me if this might be the reason that the dvds I burn from mpegs will play in a computer dvd player but not a stand alone unit?

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Do the AVI recordings play on your standalone player? Does the standalone player support the format you're recording to? Some of the older players won't support - and/or +R media.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Looks like it's getting time for some serious diagnosis. The only thing we know is you have an Optorite burner. We will need some more info.
    What model is the Optorite?
    What media are you using and what is the burn speed?
    What brand and model PC are you using?
    What is the CPU and its speed?
    What is the front side bus (fsb) speed?
    What is the hard drive size and how much free space?
    What is the operating system; i.e. 98, ME, XP?
    What is the drive configuration and what brands and models? We know you have the Optorite, but not the model number.
    Some of the info may not be necessary, but it gives an overall idea of the system you're using.
    In Nero's Toolkit you have Nero Info Tool.

I'm starting to suspect some type of error here; especially since the system is not recording an audio disc. There is no reason in the world why the Nero program couldn't do that. That would be a major PC malfunction or user error. Burning unencrypted audio cds or dvds is the easiest task in recording; right in there with disc copy. That's a good question, does disc copy even work in Nero?

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

dadvdman,

Brobear asked me to see if I could help, probably not, LOL, but I'll give it a go. He's as familiar with Nero as anyone I know.

As he said make sure you have loaded all update packs with the exception of InCD-pack #3.

Have you tried NVE 3(NeroVisionExpress)? The reason I asked is because it is an authoring program as well as a file converter. Since you mentioned using an authoring program to get it to work, I suspect you are not using NVE. Is this correct, and if not what are you using to convert your files? I need to know what you are doing to convert and burn your files.

NVE 3 will allow you you to convert the files(It also converts faster than most of the other file conversion apps), add more than one file, create a custom menu for your compilation so you can navigate and go to any file you wish, set chapters, compress, and burn to DVD all in one app.

It even has a software remote control with which to preview your work and make sure it works and allows you to make any changes you wish before you burn to disc.

Make sure it has the DVD plugin, it should state the dvd plugin has been detected when you open it.

There is more than one kind of mpeg files, you have to convert mpeg 2 which is probably what you D/L'd into mpeg 4 which is DVD compliant.

Also, use RW's til you figure out what you're doing to save on coasters.

One last thing, is your DVD player compatible with the media you are using?

Finally, here is a simple NVE guide I wrote that you should look at and make sure you are following it's steps, or if you haven't used NVE yet you can use it to see if you can get your files to work.

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=Nero;action=display;num=1094748961

14. brobear

brobear Guest

dadvdman
    bigorange is just humoring me. He knows more about nero than I do; especially NVE3 and the parts you need to know about. Checking out bigorange's guide would be a good idea. BTW, [bold]did you check out the guides at Nero's site?[/bold] I believe there is one just for NVE3.

BigO
    Thanks for dropping in.

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

No problem buddy, (and I wasn't humoring you) :>)

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Smoke and mirrors... I wonder what I'm being set up for. :D LOL

17. dadvdman

dadvdman Member

Well here you go, I will give you as much info as I know.

What model is the Optorite? DD0405
    What media are you using and what is the burn speed? Toysan 4X DVD-R
    What brand and model PC are you using? HP 563W
    What is the CPU and its speed? 2.4Gig Intel p4
    What is the front side bus (fsb) speed? Unknown
    What is the hard drive size and how much free space?80 gig about 40 gig free
    What is the operating system; i.e. 98, ME, XP? XP home

1 Gig of pc2700 DDR RAM.

I have been able to copy a factory DVD that had no copyright protection. This copied disk and the AVI file disks both play on all four of my stand alone players. As for the MPEG they are MPEG 1 or 2 files, I have some of each and neither work. I have no idea what NVE is. But I was using Nero Express without any luck. I have converted the MPEG files using WinAVI, with no luck. The way I have been doing this is, I convert and save the file to a folder, I then goto nero and select the Express option (really the only option that seems to let me burn anything), I choose DVD, the click on add and choose the folder where the new files are stored, I then click on finished and then next, followed by burn. I also have used DVD shrink and that worked fine, but then I was copying a factory DVD.

When trying to use the Nero Burn ROM, it seems to convert the files but when I burn them I get the same results.

I will do a serach for the Nero NVE and see if that will help.

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

dadvdman,

That's what I figured, you are using Nero burn Express.

You need to load and install the FULL version of Nero Ultra 6.6. get the trial version, if you like it, then you can buy it. It is the best audio/video suite on the market IMHO.

Then when you open startsmart you will see NVE3 near the top on the left. Follow my guide, use nero's guide for any questions you have if you don't understand a term or an instruction and then see if you don't get the end results you are looking for.

After you try it, be sure to use the preview remote to see if your compilation works before you burn to disc. If your files are way too large and NVE asks if you want it to compress to make them fit, I would suggest writing it to your hard drive and then burn it using Nero recode, it does a better job of compression on large files. NVE will do a fine job if it's a small amt. of compression, then just go ahead and say yes and let it go to work.

If you have problems after playing around with it let us know and we'll help. Let us know how it goes.

BTW, your system seems fine to handle DVD burning and backup.

I promise you if your D/L files are OK, this will work and give you a functioning(custom made if you like)menu with which to operate your DVD, good luck....

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  19. dadvdman

dadvdman Member

Bigorange,

I have got rid of express and did download the full trail version of Nero 6.6 After looking around a bit I did find that I did indeed have NVE. I used it to create a disk, and got yet another coaster. I did watch the preview and the file played fine, just as it does when playing in windows media player. I also tried using Nero to burn another audio CD and I get unreadable disk, or no disk errors. I get these errors even in my computer, not just stand alone cd players. Not that this is a huge matter for me, if need be I will just get another burner for doing CDs.

Do you all thikn it might help to upgrade the firmware? I read somewhere that this may need done....

20. dadvdman

dadvdman Member

I just checked and found out that I have 160E firmware installed. I did a search and found that some others recommend 150E firmware for best results with different media types. Do you all think I should downgrade the firmware?