1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dadvdman, Nov 21, 2004.

1. dadvdman

dadvdman Member

Here is todays update:

I just tried burning an audio cd using a CD-RW instead of a CD-R, and guess what, it works perfectly. It would seem that my burner just doesn't like CD-Rs all that much....

But on the other hand, still no luck burning my MPEG files. I'm starting to think I was just not made to have them on DVD......

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It could be your burner only burns RW's. That's not uncommon, what is your burner's media format that it burns?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, I just checked and your burner is RW, not R. I also saw several threads where this burner has problems. This could very well be your problem.

4. dadvdman

dadvdman Member

I just checked the box, and it says:

DVD+R 8x
    DVD+RW 4x
    DVD-R 8x
    DVD-RW 4x
    CD-RW 24x
    CD-R 40x
    HD-Burn 24x

So I guessing it is just the media or maybe the firmware version. I read somewhere on here that the 150e works better with more media types/brands than the 160e that I have.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hmmm....back to the drawing board,LOL. I can't help but think the problem lies with your burner,if you are doing everything correctly in the program.

6. dadvdman

dadvdman Member

I would think the same thing, if I couldn't get anything to burn right. But I have no problems with the AVI file types, just the MPEGs........

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Yes, but you're saying it won't burn the CD-R, yet will burn RW, and searching thru the threads, I saw several on this burner having problems. Also, you were using burn express instead of NVE 3.

Are you creating a menu for these mpeg files and following the guide?

Let's try this, why don't you run these files thru NVE 3 and instead of writing to your burner, let's write them to your hard drive(create a folder and put it where you can find it easily, like your desktop, etc...). Then see if they play on your PC with Nero's Showtime, which is included in the Ultra 6 suite.

If they do, then it has to be your burner, if they don't then you're not doing something correctly in NVE 3 or the problem lies in your PC or software.

This will help narrow the problem down. Let me know what happens.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  8. dadvdman

dadvdman Member

Today, 11-24-2004 UPDATE:

Well I have done the conversion with NVE and saved it to my desktop, it plays just fine with Nero Show and windows Media Player. I then burned that file to disk with the same results as before. Now for the more info part.

All of these disks that will not play in any stand alone DVD player will all play in my computer, but not in my son's(he has a Liteon LTR-48247S combo DVD/CD-RW drive). I have my burner, (which they will play in) and I have another DVD rom, (a Liteon DVD-Rom LTD163) which also plays these disks fine.

So once again I'm at a loss. I'm still thinking that it can't be the burner because it does burn AVI files fine, it is now burning audio fine (using CD-RW disks). Do you all think it could be the media type? I'm using DVD-R, would that be compatible with most DVD players? I have one DVD that plays video cds and it wont even play these disks.

But if you all really think it is the burner I will buy another one. As I bought this one at a Market Pro computer show, and can't return it for another 4 weeks or so.

On a side note, I downloaded Nero 6.6 ultra a while back, but I still don't see NVE 3, I just see NeroVison Express. Is that NVE 3?

9. dadvdman

dadvdman Member

Later today UPDATE:

I just tried all of my coasters in my son's playstation 2, all of the disks that worked in my stand alone (DVD backups, AVI file disks) work fine, the ones that didn't play elsewhere (MPEG file disks) won't play here either......

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

NVE 3 is NeroVisionExpress. If the files play fine in your PC, but not after they have been burned It HAS to be your burner or media.

Try media 1st, I don't think it's a compatibility problem, tho if your burner is messed up it could be. But your media is suspect. I thought you were using good media. I should have read your posts a little closer. So, don't go out and buy a burner yet.

I can't stress how important quality media is in DVD backup. I can't count the people whose problems I have solved just by changing their media.

It's not just a quality issue as was the mindset in CD burning, or VHS, etc. It is the fact of a burn actually playing or playing properly. Bad or inconsistent media causes jumping, skipping, freezing, playing in some and not others, and not playing at all.

I mention inconsistent because a lot of media will use different manufacturers and thus different batches will vary in quality even though you're buying the same brand. By using quality media you also eliminate media as a possibility when you do encounter a problem with burning DVD's, as in this situation right now,LOL.

Quality media doesn't mean expensive either. You can get Branded Riteks +R or -R for under .50 each w/free shipping. ALWAYS buy BRANDED media so you know what you are getting.

I would also suggest getting a little free app called dvdinfopro. Among it's many uses, it will analyze your media. It will also analyze your burner. I keep it on my desktop for easy access because it has so many useful features.

Here is a good reputable company with an excellent return policy and great prices for DVD media, you should get them in about 3 days, unless the holidays screw up the mail:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

If this doesn't solve the problem, then there is nothing left but your burner.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004