1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me Please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tony112, Mar 18, 2005.

1. tony112

tony112 Member

I cannot understand the guides. There is loads of guides available and i dont know which software is the best/quickest at copying and ripping or is the most reliable.
    i would really appriciate it if someone could give me a few hints on what software is good?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  2. keithro70

keithro70 Guest

DVD Decrypter is very easy, and can make backup copies of almost any dvd. There is an easy to follow guide posted on Afterdawn. YOu can rip the dvd and burn with DVD Decryper. Which makes it easy. Just go to mode, select iso read, and iso write. First you read it, it takes the protection code out and puts a copy of the dvd on your hard drive. The go to write mode, and burn the file. IF you need to compress the dvd, then use dvd shrink. There are guides available also.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

tony112,
    Check out the first guide at my website (link in sig) and follow it to the "T" and you will be good to go.. Over 9,000 people have backed up there movies use that guide and not one problem.. :)

4. tony112

tony112 Member

Thanks a lot keithro70 and bbmayo :)

5. tony112

tony112 Member

Hi bbmayo. Your guide was really usefull but there is one slight problem. i copy the dvd in decrypter then shrink it. i then find the iso and write that to dvd-r. the problem is when i am wrighting it, a message box appears which is an error and does not let me continue writing the file, it says i have finished. i have taken this dvd-r out and tried to play it and it is jumpy and blury to start wich, it is [bold]very[/bold] pixelated. it then fixes and skips a little bit like 3 mins and then it is fine. it stops playing after a certain time and i cannot skip to the next chapter.
    please can you assist me on this problem?

6. mg3

mg3 Member

I've been having problems recently backing up my dvds
    using nero and dvd43 was having grat results with them untill recently.i tried everything and made about 3-5 coasters untill i came upon dvd decrypter and mayos guide now my backup works fine. also thanks for the info on crap media(i just wasted my money on memorex) wont buy them again.

7. tony112

tony112 Member

i managed to copy it fully thanks to the guide posted by bbmayo. how does the disc qualiy matter with the copy of your dvd? is Mriior Platinum 8x good discs or bad discs?
    with dvd decrypter can i copy ps2 games and then use dvd shrink and then use dvd decrypter to write them to a blank dvd-r disc like in bbmayo guide?

how do i make an ISO into a playable form on my computer. i want to be able to play the ISO on my computer in the form of AVI for example.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  8. mg3

mg3 Member

I'm not an expert but what i have read on this forum about crap media is that some mfgs use a cheaper dye process on the layer of the dvd. The dye is either applied incorectly(too much, too little and or uneven) When you get ready to back up your dvd with dvd decrypter it will show you the mfg code of the disc you getting ready to use, you then can(should) go to videohelp.com and goto i believe dvd media section on left and type in the mfg code, it will give you previous results with that media.
    Like i said i'm no expert on this subject.

Oh by the way have a look at the dvd media section on here.

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

check out your media as suggested above. could also be too high a burn speed, out of date burner firmware or multitasking whilst doing the burn

10. tony112

tony112 Member

i have an ISO file on my computer. it is 4.2GB. the problem is when i double click on it, it opens in DVD Decrypter and not windows media player or simmiliar media playing software. how do i make the ISO file into a playable file which can be played on my computer?
    i have tired Deamon Tools. i installed this but when i double clicked the shortcut nothing happened.
    i also would like to know how to convert .AVI into .ISO?

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Also if you have Nero it has an image drive function..

13. tony112

tony112 Member

thanks

14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

=======DVD-5 -> DVD±R, Single layer DVD discs only (*Inc PS2*)=========

Remove all discs from drives.

Open DVD Decrypter.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Read'.

Put DVD-5 / PS2 disc in drive.

Take note of the 'Destination' file name.

Click the big 'Decrypt' button.

Take the DVD-5 / PS2 disc out of the drive.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Write'.

Put a blank disc in your DVD Writer.

Click the little folder icon - 'Browse for source file' - and select the MDS file created for you as part of the steps above.

Click the big 'Write' button.

Finished!

Note: You NEED a chipped PS2 to play these disks. Try http://www.gameworlddirect.co.uk or http://www.modchip.com

-------------------------------------------

========DVD-9 -> DVD±R, using only free software========

This is one good path to follow if you don't have any DVD software utilities at all.

Updated: 8th August 2004 (based on hembo's guide)
    Scope of this guide: To copy any DVD9 to one DVD±R(W) with all the contents or the 'main movie' only.
    Hard disc space needed: 20 Gbyte when backing up a movie on 1 DVD9.

Tools used:
    DVD Decrypter 3.5.2.0
    DVD Shink 3.2 (note: if your drive is not NTFS you must use 3.2 or later)
    Download and install both of the above.
    Setting up DVD Shrink:
    Click on the Edit menu and then on Preferences...
    In the DVD Shrink Preferences window which opens, click on the File I/O tab
    As this guide only uses freeware, make sure that the Enable burning with Nero option is UNCHECKED

[​IMG]

Click the OK button

Ripping:
    Start DVD Decrypter
    Ensure you're in 'File' mode by pressing the 'F' key or selecting it via the 'Mode' option in the menu at the top
    If, for some reason, all files are not selected, press <Ctrl-A> to select ALL the files
    Make a note of the destination folder, for example 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD\VIDEO_TS'

[​IMG]

Click the [DVD-image] button to start DVD Decrypter, this will take anything from 10 minutes and up, depending on your computer and DVD drive speed

[​IMG]

When it is finished, close DVD Decrypter

Re-authoring / Shrinking:
    Start DVD Shrink
    Click the [OPEN FILES] button on the main toolbar
    Navigate to C:\NAME_OF_DVD\VIDEO_TS and click [Ok], this will take a few minutes while DVD shrink analyzes the DVD.

[​IMG]

When the analysis has finished, you will see the entire structure of the decrypted DVD files.

Jump to step 16 to backup the entire DVD, (like an episodic or series DVD like Friends or Simpsons), instead of just the 'main movie', and then adjust the compression for the extras and menus in order to leave more room for the main title.

Click the [RE-AUTHOR] button on the main toolbar and the DVD Browser tab should be active; if not, click on it
    Click and hold on 'Title 1' and drag it to the left-hand pane, under DVD

[​IMG]

If your movie is greater than 4.35GB then the movie is automatically compressed as you can see if you click on the 'Compression Settings' tab. Here you can deselect audio tracks and subtitles you don't want in order to minimize the compression of the video.

[​IMG]

Insert a blank DVD±R(W) into your DVD-burner
    Click the [BACKUP] button on the main toolbar
    Select ISO Image file and burn with DVD Decrypter as your target device

[​IMG]

Select an appropriate target file/folder for DVD Shrink to output to, for example 'C:\NEW_DVD.ISO'
    If your movie is greater than 4.35GB, then you can CHECK the 'Perform deep analysis' option on the Quality Settings tab to enhance the video quality. If it's not, there's no need to compress and you can't select that option.

[​IMG]

Click [OK]. If your movie is greater than 4.35GB it will take about 20 - 40 minutes depending on the length of the movie, and the complexity of the mpeg. Otherwise it will only take a few minutes.
    Once DVD Shrink has finished reauthoring and/or compressing, DVD Decrypter will automatically launch and burn the image to DVD without any user intervention
    When you have checked and are happy with the new DVD, you can delete the 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD' folder, the 'C:\NEW_DVD' folder (if it exists) and the 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD.ISO' file

========DVD-9 -> DVD+R DL, Double layer to Double layer! (1:1)==========

Remove all discs from drives.

Open DVD Decrypter.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Read'.

Put DVD-9 disc in drive.

Take note of the 'Destination' file name.

Click the big 'Decrypt' button.

Take the DVD-9 disc out of the drive.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Write'.

Put a blank double layer disc in your DVD Writer.

Click the little folder icon - 'Browse for source file' - and select the MDS file created for you as part of the steps above.

Click the big 'Write' button.

Finished!

USE THE .MDS FILE IT CONTAINS THE LAYER BREAK INFO FOR BURNING!

Note: If your drive supports booktype / bit setting, remember to tell it to burn DVD+R DL discs as DVDROM. This will make them more compatible with players. The booktype / bit setting utility is accessed by clicking on the little 'book' icon when in ISO Write mode.