1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me Pleasssse!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Whitey442, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Whitey442

Whitey442 Member

Oh boy I'm up to my ass in this dvd+r stuff.

I had a burner that was working fine, a NEC 1100a i think, 4x. Then i got tempted by all these 8x blanks for sooo cheap $19 for 25. SO, I upgraded the firmware to a new version and my DVD Copy gold didn't like that at all...So I decide to upgrade to an 8x burner, which I would like to keep.

It is a Dynex DVD+/-R 8x Writer installed with no discernable firmware just a windows driver.

My blanks are: Memorex DVD+R 8x

Software is DVD X Copy Gold...now featuring no freaking support since they went under.

When I attempt to burn with the 8X I get an error, with some old Fuji 4x it seemed to work but stopped writing 18% in.

Windows XP, 2400, 512Ram

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME, I WANT TO PULL MY HAIR OUT WHEN I THINK ABOUT HOW FRUSTRATING THIS IS!!

Thank you for your time.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

DVD Xcopy doesn't support burning past 4X and does best at 2.4X.

You'd be doing yourself a favor by forgetting Xcopy and checking out DVD Shrink as well as buying better media than Memorex.

3. Whitey442

Whitey442 Member

Well, excellent advice...I have done all but switching from the memorex...after all they got me in this mess, I could at least chase the sunk cost and make them work ;)

I am burning well now, but have compatibility issues with all dvds...my disks work on about half of the dvd players tried. Any thoughts on inproving compatibility

(I have tried using the region-free encoding as well as leave encoding alone options in DVD shrink.

T.I.A....Matt

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  4. Whitey442

Whitey442 Member

bump....Anyone??

5. colw

colw Active member

You were given excellent advice by Nephilim that you have apparently chosen to ignore - Memorex media has ha history of poor to variable quality.

6. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

Whitney or anyone with a Dynex writer. I just bought one and have had nothing but trouble with it. Have you burned and CD-R's by any chance? I haven't bought my 8x media yet, so I decided to try burning regular CD's. I found that it would NOT write at faster than 10X even though the box says it can do 40X. I understand media type is important. But... I tried Sony, Fuji, TDK and Dynex!!!!! cdrs, and they all took about 10 minutes to make a cd!

I updated the firmware with their crappy update utility "live update"... It's the dumbest thing I have ever seen. It sits in your system tray 24 hours a day checking for firmware unless you tell it not to. I finally updated to version 129.. It still would not write any of my media fast. MY Sony DRU-500A will write to at least 1/2 of what is sold at Best Buy, and do it at 24X. So I don't knwow what the problem is.

I also have a 3.2Ghz system, running xp pro, 1GB ram, (fast!).. I've tried every thing. So I am VERY curious if you can burn CDR's in less than 6 minutes. My Sony does it in 5 minutes with a 24X. So this thing should blaze at 40X, but doesn't..

The tech support page was full of typos, bad english, and the tech person wasn't helpful. I am returning mine probably tomorrow. Sorry for the long post, but I can't believe they could sell something that says it does 40x and it doesn't even make 10x.

7. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

I also noticed that you can not burn at 8x with your DVD's.. It may be your media, but I think this comapany is lying to customers. I picked up mine for $89!! Does anyone really believe they would really make an 8X writer for $89 when all the others are over $100? One other thing... When I burn a CDR, I make an image file that is about 700MB, which is a full cdr. So I am talking about making a full one in under 6 or 7 minutes. Hopefully you see this ;-)... thanks.

8. Whitey442

Whitey442 Member

Well I did give up on the Memorex actually, I got some Fuji, which worked great for me previously, unfortunatley they will not play on my dvd player either when burned with a DVD Shrink Nero setup.

One other bummer about DVD shrink it seems is that you cannot burn large movies at full quality on two discs like you could with DVD X copy. Am I wrong about that? Is there other software I could try?

9. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

Actually I do know of one that can burn high quality across 2 DVD's and another method... xcopy puts this stupid message in front of the screen. And you can not delete the FBI warning like you can in DVDShrink. And there are tricks in DvdShrink, ah yes but some people won't take advise or even give it... But still, Personally I can't see any noticable difference in the movie quality on 99% of movies when dvdshrink is set correctly. Even on a 65inch! I don't say that to impress, but to impress upon people to set the compression ratios correctly. -- As for this Dynex I have given up on it. NO tech support, it can not burn cdr's at greater than 10X speed (takes 6 to 8 mins). I will NOT buy it 8x DVD's so it can make coasters out of them. AND, I have found only 1 other person(this thread) that owns a Dynex 8X dual drive and they had nothing but negative things to say and no response. I'm glad I didn't wait past the 30 days to return the Dynex. I am going to buy a real writer, like a Plextor or something like that. I think $150 is worth it, then I won't need "help!" The thing will just work.. I will buy a nice 100 box of DVD's, get some popcorn and enjoy ;-)

10. Whitey442

Whitey442 Member

You told me everything except which program writes across 2 dvd's at full quality. Thank you for listening nonetheless.