1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me to understand what is going on!

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Chris112, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Chris112

Chris112 Member

Ok I am fairly new to this forum and have gone DVD R/RW crazy. I just bought a 16x dual layer dvd burner for my computer and it works great. I bought some DVD +RW's to practice on and on the first shot it worked. The copied dvd played in my phillips 711 dvd player but not in my mothers Oritron.. I figured it was because hers was a cheapo player. So anyways my mothers birthday is coming up so I bought her a Sanyo drw 1000 from Walmart (for easy returning). For those that dont know its a dvd recorder/ vcr combo. Anyways this machine only records dvd -r/rw disk. So I was playing around with it and made a quick DVD -rw disk. Now the Dvd -rw disk does NOT play in my phillips dvd player but plays fine in her oritron. I am just lost at this point. But it gets worse. So I thought to try to stick the dvd -rw (made from the sanyo) into my computer to copy it onto a dvd +rw disk. I did so and it still didnt work on my dvd player but to my surprise it worked on my moms. So can some explain to me why a dvd +rw copied on my computer plays on my dvd player but it didnt play the -rw. And when I copied the -rw to + rw why did it still not work.. ANd whats the deal with my mothers player.. sometimes it plays the +rw and sometimes it doest? I am lost!

2. jacota20

jacota20 Member

when you finalize a dvd (no matter the format), it becomes a dvd-video. that should play on most dvd players.

it seems, from your post, that your pc dvd burner and player takes the PlUS(+) format and your mothers Oritron and recorder seem to take the DASH(-) format. you might want to return the oritron and recorder, and get ones that take the plus(+) format like yours.

if you want to have very few problems with dvd's, you should have quality hardware, along with TOP OF THE LINE media. they are NOT made the same.

now, your recorder may use dvd-r, but that may not play on all players. it is burned using the sp, lp, ep formats thats used on tape. my recorder media plays fine on other players, but the rewritable disc that i record to is very fickle on my pc.

also, on my recorder, finalization is a seperate process from burning. after burning, i have to go back and finalize the disc so it will play in dvd player. yours might be the same way.

richard

3. Chris112

Chris112 Member

The finalization process on the DVD recorder combo is a seperate process.. When I intialize it, it ask me if i want it in VR or Video mode.. VR mode doesnt work on any dvd player in the house except the one it was made on (SANYO) but when I burn it in VIDEO mode it works on just the Oritron dvd player... The thing that confuses me is that I transfered the info on the dvd-rw disk to a dvd+rw disk on my computer and it still worked on the oritrion (which didnt like the copy of a movie i made from my computer with the same disk) but my dvd player in my bedroom didnt work with the with the disk i transfered the info to.

4. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Judging by other threads, not too many people are impressed by the Sanyo machine ... I know that when I went to Wal Mart and looked in the "open box" aisle, there were lots of Sanyo, Emerson amd Cyberhome recorders ... I have a feeling that lots are being returned ... Depending on your budget, I'd get a Panasonic, Sanyo or a Lite On ... I posted about the Lite On in the other thread you started ... Read the test ...