1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me understand that error

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by anarkya, Jan 25, 2007.

1. anarkya

anarkya Member

Hi,
    I will try to explain that the best i can with the knowledge I have.

There is that game called 9 Dragons, its in open beta right now, a mmorpg about martial arts.

We are a bunch of friends playing it and we are having fun..
    Now, one of them cant connect at all..

He get this error
    failed to socket intialize. error no.10091

This is from the game log
    WSAStartup...;
    Create socket object...;
    ERROR: Failed to socket intialize. Error No.10091;;

I know its a long shot but maybe some of you might know what it is and how to solve it..

He closed his firewall, updated his drivers, restarted, re-installed the game several times.. it still say that..

Thank you for your help with this.

Anarkya

2. bkim

bkim Member

have you had him reinstall the game?
    edit: sorry i just reread it and you said that he did several times.
    maybe have him remove every file for that game (so he might have to start all over on his character or whatever) and reinstall

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  3. whompus

whompus Active member

Thats a winsock error. Normaly meaning the underlying system it uses to provide network services is currently unavailable. In this case I would guess with this being a beta it may be some kind of bug with whatever network adapter is being used. In most cases it would point to trying to use more than one Windows Sockets implementation simultaneously. Or maybe even some winsock dll missing or corrupt. Or winsock.dll version out of range. If I had to guess, I would say its likely a compatibiity issue.

4. anarkya

anarkya Member

Thank you for your answers.
    I really appreciate it.

How do I do this.. "use more than one Windows Sockets implementation simultaneously"

Also, I received an answer from Acclaim (which is the game publisher) and they told me it was a problem with my firewall or my internet "you will need to esnure that 9D is allowed on all ports and all sockets"

which i have no idea how to look for that.

How can i do those 2 things?
    use more then 1 windows socket and open the sockets in my firewall, internet..

Thank you for your answers.

5. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

One of the things I had to do playing Joint Operations, which had no issues with the firewall when playing LAN..but did over the net, was just disable the firewall for the time being. Not like someone's gonna know the exact moment you're playing and try to take advantage of your system. If the system's clean of any malware, you should be just fine having the firewall off while you play the game.