1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Help me understand two factor authentication for updated security.

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Chris1122, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Chris1122

Chris1122 Newbie

I lost my previous laptop to malware and virus. It was my bad. I didn't use the antivirus software. This time I'm going to be extra careful. I plan on buying a paid antivirus solution, perhaps Kaspersky.

Apart from that , I would like to know how I can protect my system as I use the internet heavily. I learnt about harness two-factor authentication from this article https://nci.ca/what-can-you-do-to-protect-yourself-from-spyware-malware-and-ransomware/ What do you mean by that and how can I enable that?

I don't want my system to be hacked or attacked again. I would like to get your suggestion on this. please help.

Thank you for your time.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Wouldn't waste money on paying for antivirus when there's free alternatives like avast etc

keep windows updated

two step is for website login

stop using admin account & setup restricted user/guest account & use that instead

find a free imaging program to create backup images of C partition.I use easeus free v5.5 which should be available in downloads section.Future versions didn't allow medium compression to reduce file size unless you paid for it which is why i stuck with it.You'll need 2-3 hard drives to store images on as 1 image on 1 hdd isn't enough to mitigate a failed hdd

use sandboxie or setup a virtual pc or use a linux distro for web & email related stuff

Chris1122 likes this.