1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me w/ Xvid Settings

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by xLusi0n, Apr 8, 2007.

1. xLusi0n

xLusi0n Member

I have the latest Xvid codec installed.

The question that seems to boggle my mind is what is the best setting to compress movies / tv shows? I know there's a million and one ways to cut the pie and everyone's different...but I can take a 1 hour video, compress it to 600mbs and it will look worse than some of the tv shows I've downloaded and theirs are half the size of mine. I checked and their videos are also encoded with Xvid (for the most part). Am I missing something here? Any tips would be appreciated.

I've been leaving the size the same as the source, 128 MP3, NTSC (29) frame rate, same aspect ratio as source, etc...

I currently have the Xvid encoder configuration at the default setting.

Thanks.

2. caffeine_

caffeine_ Guest

Are you using the 2 pass setting?

3. xLusi0n

xLusi0n Member

No...everything's default.

4. caffeine_

caffeine_ Guest

ok. you have 2 choices. either you can fiddle around with some settings (passes, quantisizer etc) or you can download autoGK (just search google) and use the default setting, set the size you want and you should get a perfect quality movie.

5. xLusi0n

xLusi0n Member

Thanks, I'll try both. I am starting to read up on 2 pass and other settings. Still googling...thanks for the info.

What's a good bitrate to use generally speaking? I see most of the stuff I dload is around 900.

6. caffeine_

caffeine_ Guest

Around 900kbps is good, but the higher the better! It really depends on how much compression you can take.

7. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If you are encoding at 29.97fps, then your source is interlaced and possibly of low quality. You can't really compare that to a 23.976/25fps quality progressive source.

You might want to check out the Xvid quality presets over at doom9.

8. xLusi0n

xLusi0n Member

I did notice that the files I'm comparing it to had ~24 FPS. So, my problem may be stemming from source rather than codec encoding settings? Most of the things I'm compressing is DVR-MS files recorded from TV (SD).