1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! MOVIE SKIPS NEAR END

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by td1ddy, Mar 1, 2007.

1. td1ddy

td1ddy Member

Hey guys, quick question. So I normally download image files, or straight rips of dvd movies (with video_ts folders) from torrent sites and such, and I am having a problem. I am burning to Sony DVD+R disc, 120 min, 4.7 gigabyte. The problem is when I burn a movie it will be fine the whole way through, perfect, but near the end it always seems to begin to skip. The way it does this is it will play, than sort of freeze, and i can hear the laser trying to read the disc, than it starts again right where it started skipping, goes for a few mins fine, than freezes(and i can hear the laser some more) and than starts working again.....this gets VERY annoying, and luckily on many of my "backups" it happens after the credits, but on a few (such as the departed, or other longer movies) it happens during the film. Am I burning to fast? I know it's not a problem with the files I'm downloading...well, I am quite certain at least. Any help would be much appreciated! thanks!

2. cnb1703

cnb1703 Guest

try burning at a lower speed on some high quality dvd like taiyo yuden dvds. here is what i use and so far all my movie (around 500) back ups work perfect.

taiyo yuden dvd-r: also make sure if you ever order these great dvd, order them from a good website like supermediastore.com becasue there is alot of fakes out there selling fake Taiyo Yuden dvds.

AnyDvd + Clone DVD (theses are the programs i use to make copys of all my movies)

dvd burner i got: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S

3. td1ddy

td1ddy Member

okay..well just SAY i bought like 3 packs of 50 sony dvd+r because they were on clearance for 5.99 a piece...lol.. anyways, I hope if I burn on a lower speed the problem will be fixed and I won't waste all the ones I have....i have anydvd and clone dvd...just always used nero cuz it's my default..thanks for the information tohugh

4. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Do not burn right to the edge of the disc, most low grade discs suffer from a poor dye distribution...effecting mainly the outer part of the disc.

5. td1ddy

td1ddy Member

so... would you say I burn like roughly....4.0 gigs of the disk? or less?

6. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

On low quality discs, most recommend you select 4300

7. CVerse

CVerse Member

What discs do you recommend? What are the best quality discs?

8. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@ CVerse,

Simply put,
    Verbatims
    Taiyo Yudens

Edit-spelling

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  9. narcismo

narcismo Regular member

td1ddy, it kinda sounds like your player is starting to over-heat, especially if it only happens tward the end of the movie. try playing the last few chapters first. and if they play ok....well...your drive might be toast(or maybe it's too confined...let it breathe better if possible).
    just a thought:)

10. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The outer edge of a disc is the most critical for a number of reasons: 1) the edge of a disc deviates most from flatness; 2) even a perfectly flat disc will "flutter" a bit in a drive at the outer edge (This is more of a problem at high recording speeds. At the standard playback speed it is not a significant problem; but if the errors are there from high-speed recording, the player will stumble on them; 3) dye irregularities are rare because of spin-coating, but hard coats on the bottom of discs do have more problems with non-uniformity if they are not solvent-based; 4) sputter masks (the guides that determine where the reflective layers are deposited) sometimes cause problems at the very outer edges; and 5) edge cleaning may not be as effective as it should be.

In general, try scanning a disc with a program such as Nero CD/DVD Speed to determine the error profile of a recorded disc to determine how well the recording firmware matches the discs you are using. It is not uncommon to see some drives show consistent increases in errors toward the outer edges of a disc while another drive shows uniformly low error rates across the disc. In such cases, the problem is one of compatibility, not disc quality. Your drive may not be as compatible with the Sony media as it should be. You can try slowing down the recording speed, recording short of the outer edge by compressing the files more, seeing if a firmware update is available that may resolve the problem, or switching brands (or types, such as Sony DVD-R) to resolve the problem.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi td1ddy,

OK let me be as blunt as possible here so you will understand, and I am not trying to be impolite just reiterate what others have already said in this thread. So please don't take it personal.

You Have Crap Media, period! You now have two choices here.

1) Buy better media
    2) Compress your movie more to like 4300mb so you aren’t getting to close to the edge of the disc. Also slow down your burn speed.

Of course the second solution won't resolve the fact that you bought junk media, but it will at least make them usable.

Good luck :)

12. CVerse

CVerse Member

Where can I buy Taiyo Yudens? I've never heard of them and I can't seem to find them anywhere.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

There are plenty of places on line to find TY's

Meritline
    Supermedia Store

Those are a few, but a quick search on the net and you will find plenty ;-)

14. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

td1ddy--

Unless someone has actually analyzed your discs and given you a report on how they deviate from the DVD+RW Alliance specifications, there is no way to determine the actual quality, no matter how blunt the message. The symptoms of skipping near the end are common to a wide variety of factors. Disc quality is just one of them, and it is not the usually the factor in the majority of cases.

15. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

So we're ALL wrong ...AGAIN ???

16. td1ddy

td1ddy Member

burning at a slower speed seems to fix the problem...it skips maybe once now, and i can live with that

17. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

@ td1ddy
    Don't Settle When you can select.
    If you are using Shrink Go into the Preferences and change the burning area of the disc. I Suggest 4300mb. I can't remember where in the Prefs it is, but there will be a box that says DVD5 And a custom option. Select custom then type in 4300.
    I Don't know how to do it in Nero

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Is this person for real? Joe try reading just a little bit in here on peoples media issues and once they buy good quality media all of the problems seem to go away. Is this an opinion? Well yes and it is an opinion shared by 99.9% of the members here at AD. Do I need to be more blunt in your case? I will if you need, but you might not like what I say.

19. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

There are fallacies in your argument. You state "good quality media" but mean Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim. They both offer good quality media that are more compatible than most other media because: 1) they are both Japanese; 2) TY holds patent rights for optical recording; 3) MCC-which owns Verbatim--owns the rights for DL recording; and 4) drive manufacturers include TY and MCC MID codes in their first iterations of drives for sound business reasons. "All of the problems go away" because switching to these media almost always avoids compatibility problems. In such cases quality is not an issue at all. An excellent quality disc in an incompatible drive will produce a poor quality recording.

20. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

In theory JoeRyan makes sense but in reality JoeBlows. JMO