1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help! my cd drives not recognised.

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by wolf8874, Jan 8, 2007.

1. wolf8874

wolf8874 Guest

hello,
    i purchased a dvd/cd combo drive today and installed it into my syste, but now it dosent pick up either drive (i already had a cd drive and a cd burner, so i took out the cd drive and put in the new one)

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Look at the jumper on the back of the CD-ROM drive you took out. If it is on the CS mark (Computer Select), you have to take out the drive you installed and put the jumper on the CS pins exactly the same way so that the computer can determine which drive will act as the master and which act as the slave.

If the jumper is on the SL (slave) pins, the drive you put in probably has the jumper on the MS (master, the default pins for all new drives) pins. That means the CD burner and the new drive are both trying to act as the master. In that case, remove the CD burner and change its jumper to the SL pins and leave the new drive as the master.

3. wolf8874

wolf8874 Guest

yup that was it, thanks a bunch!
    i had an idea that might have been the case but im not an expert so i didnt want to make it worse, but thanks for confirming it :D