1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! My dvd drive no longer recognised orginal movie discs

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by bigkevB81, Sep 4, 2008.

1. bigkevB81

bigkevB81 Member

Hi Guys,
    I have a Compaq Presario SR5160AN which is less that 12 months old.
    The drive is a HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30L S856 which is a multi drive that reads and burns cd's, single and dual layer dvds and also has lightscribe.

For the past couple of months the drive will not recognise Original Movie DVD discs i have purchased from shops. In most cases the drive will spin but a disc will not register. When I try to access the disc its tells me there is no disc inserted :(

Apart from this it still plays all other types of discs (music, burnt dvd movies (single layer), data cd's & dvds.

On one occasion it did play an original copy of American Psycho which I noticed was on a single layer dvd only. Thinking that may have something to do with it.

On other RARE occasions a original dual layer movie disc is recognised but when playback is attempted it lags and freezes excessively and in most cases the software (windows media player or VLC player) will crash.

Any idea's on whats causing this and if there is a remedy to my problem?

And before anyone asks my DVD drive is not overused. I use it to burn the occasional disc or install bundled software with devices Ive purchased. Most of the time I download anyways to make sure i get the latest versions.

Ive already flashed my firmware to the latest version and have checked that my drivers are correct.

Any info would be much appreciated
    Regards
    Kevin

2. dave0625

dave0625 Member

Kevin, did you ever get an answer to this? I have the same issue but have not had the time to isolate it. Thanks.
    -Dave