1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, My VCD only plays on some DVD players

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by jr3767, Jun 22, 2002.

1. jr3767

jr3767 Member

I have burned two MPEG 1 videos to a video cd using easy cd creator 4. I am lucky enough to have 3 dvd players around to test it on, and the only one it works on is my laptop dvd drive with intervideo WinDVD. My PS2, and a Toshiba DVD player do nothing with it, the Toshiba says it's loading and then says check disc, and the Playstation says enter a PS1 or PS2 disc. I am using Imation disc, and recorded at 4x.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

In other words: the VCD doesn't work. The fact that something plays with PC doesn't mean a **it. My PC can show Word docs and so far I haven't found a stand-alone DVD player that does the same.

And PS2 doesn't support VideoCD at all.

So that leaves your Toshiba as the only one to actually test it with. First check from http://www.vcdhelp.com/ 's DVD player compatibility charts if the player actually supports VCD and if so, does it require special CDR brand to play the discs.

And also, as much as I hate EZ CD, I used the EZCD4 few years ago to do VCDs with it and you always, ALWAYS have to remember to check the "close disc" before burning your VCD (sure you have also selected VCD format instead of regular data?), otherwise the disc wont work with DVD players.

3. jr3767

jr3767 Member

Yeah thanks, umm, I should have figured that. I am going to try to explicitly close the CD, i don't remember if I did it last time. I definitely selected VCD though.

Thanks,
    Jeff

4. dRD

You can also try and burn one with Nero -- the trial version should be fully functional and we have very bullet-proof guide for it in our article section :)

5. jr3767

jr3767 Member

Ok, even with making sure the close cd is highlighed, it does not work. The model is one that vcdhelp says does not support vcd(2008). Is there any work around, perhaps with a CD-RW or a different format? If not is there a format that would play a movie on the PS2?

Thanks for your patience,
    Jeff

6. dRD

AFAIK, only way to get PS2 to play movies is to use DVD-Rs or DVD+RWs. miniDVD _might_ work, but don't know about that one.

7. jr3767

jr3767 Member

If I were to go looking for a VCD or a DVD player a hundred or less, do you have any suggestions as to a make or model? I have nearly a hundred family guy and simpson episodes I want to burn to cd and just sit back and watch without having to do it on a computer monitor. That is 99% of what I want, but if there's one that plays dvds too, I wouldn't mind the feature.

8. dRD

It totally depends where you live. Here in the UK, where I currently live, most of the supermarkets sell extremely cheap, "noname" DVD players that play virtually every single format there is and cost less than £80.

In U.S. there are several cheap brands, biggest is probably Apex, cheapest models should be less than $80.

Juts find few cheap models and write them down and check their specs / reviews from vcdhelp.com and make your decision based on that.

9. jr3767

jr3767 Member

Thanks for the help, too bad about the soccer teams though :)

10. dRD

np. And couldn't really care less, I'm Finnish originally, I just move around the world every now and then, so I was actually supporting Brazil from day 1 in World Cup (since Finland didn't qualify into WorldCup...and getting the heat from my British coworkers was kinda fun ;-).