1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help need for copying to media player.

Discussion in 'Media tanks' started by Kevin-2011, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Kevin-2011

Kevin-2011 Newbie

Hi im needing somehelp,

Ive been looking at putting my dvds/blu rays on to a media player or something similar but dont know where to start. Im a complete newbie to this sort of thing and would apprecitate any info/help that you guys can give. thanks.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

They need to be ripped first
    anydvd -trial
    clonedvd-trial
    dvdfab -free to rip always the rest is trial
    dvdshrink-very old best used to edit titles by removing un-needed lang & subs & removing intro & outro clips from titles,reducing size of vid = better quality when converting depending on other variables
    .....................................................................................
    next you need to becareful to what format you choose to convert to & it's compression,you say a media player,converting to a smart phone or some other weak player which requires large amounts of compression will mean quality is severely reduced if you decide to watch them from a computer on a large screen will look like crap so will the dvd will require reconverting to higher bitrate doubling up on the same movie
    ........................................................................................
    next up is the conversion software to some sort of container lets take a mp4,regardless of what format container you use in the end it's almost like a folder that houses the video content nothing more,the only issue you have will be compatibility across devices
    ........................................................................................
    free converters there's many others in software section & at videohelp .com

staxrip -to convert to avi

handbrake to convert to mp4 or mkv-also can convert to other formats by using the presets which then can be fine tuned manually to suit-supports batching

vidcoder - same as handbrake main difference if any is manually setting desired file output size-supports batching
    ....................................................................................
    paid software

dvdfab-i don't use fab to convert i prefer programs that give me control over all settings & free ones

clonedvd mobile -bought it never used it..lol..

as for anything more you'll need to research yourself so:
    1-get a ripper
    2-think carefully about what devices you want to play the vids on
    3-pik a movie edit it with fab,clonedvd or dvdshrink
    4-use shrink & cut a segment out of the movie say 300mb ? convert it to get an idea of what it will look like quality wise on devices you plan to play them on
    5-read tuts in guides section here at AD & at video help most importantly don't spend money if a free software is available

visit brrip.eu it may save you time hehehe

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    kinyas likes this.
  3. Kevin-2011

Kevin-2011 Newbie

Thanks very much for all the help.
    One last question but a friend of a friend said he would help me get started but he is trying to get me to part with some serious money for a state of the art pc that he says that i need.. is he telling fibs? thanks so much again..

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

a state of the art pc would speed up stuff like video encoding,video conversion and things, my pc was built early 2010 as a gaming pc and would be able to do it wouldn't be as quick as a new one but would work.
    Your friend probably thinks a new pc would be better & quicker and hes right, but its not really needed.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

xboxdvl2 has said exactly what i think in regards to a slightly older pc that's more than capable however you haven't provided details of your specs for the pc you have & more importantly what your intended use is,lastly an ex lease quad with 8gb ram & 1tb hdd,1gb hd graphic card,hd audio & usb ports will set you back under $600-$1000nz depending on how late the comp is,that's where i'd start then look at upgrading from there but for vid coding only a new pc would be a waste of money imo unless you were going to watch stacks of movies & perhaps play some games

kinyas likes this.