1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with findin nemo

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by fishio, Jan 17, 2004.

1. fishio

fishio Guest

Hi,

i have brought a copy of finding nemo from the states, i have tried backing it up, the disc plays fine in my computer but not in my stand alone, in my stand alone the playback is jerky ? playing the film form my hard drive there is no jerkyness either, has neone else had this problem when backing up region 1 disks?

however any of my region 2 disk i backup works fine in my stand alone?

im using dvd decrypter and dvd shrink, nero 5 to burn and a liteon 811s

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

If this is a backup copy of Finding Nemo it sounds like it's a boogered up copy; too much compression, bad media or scratched / dirty. Sounds like too much compresion. Computers are notorious for being more forgiving in playback than stand alone DVD players.

I copied Nemo using DVD Shrink in Reauthor and only copied the Main Movie. Worked for me.

RWG

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

fishio, Could your problem be a mismatch in NTSC(USA) and possibly PAL where you are at. Playing on the computer will sometimes overcome that but a stand alone won't. Just guessing since I don't know where you are at.
    Jerry

4. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Yeah it does sound like a frame rate prob caused by ntsc not bing played back properly on a pal format, but if you say your other region 2's worked fine on your region 4 player i'd agree with RWG.

I too copied just the movie and dolby digital like RWG did, and it works fine, tho ofcourse thats a pal backup on a pal player...

Question for RWG and Jerry746, if you used dvd decryptor and then dvd shrink wouldn't that have made the disc region free?

Or doesn't all players read region free, i thought it just put something on the disc to enable region 1, 2, 3 etc, but one region is pal, the other ntsc, how does the region free work?

Bailey

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Bailey, This may not be quite right but its how I understand this. You can sometimes determine the video format(PAL-NTSC) by the region code the disc came from. But the region code isn't what makes it PAL or NTSC. They are just 2 different video formats. So making it region free doesn't change the type of video. If I'm wrong someone will correct this post.
    Jerry

6. RWG

RWG Regular member

You're correct Jerry - it is 2 different formats.

RWG

7. fishio

fishio Guest

so what should i do guys, my standalone is multi region, the dic is region 1, should i back it up as region 1 then? and burn a new copy?

james

8. nermal

nermal Member

Backing up the disk as region 1 won't solve your problem as long as you have a standalone player that can't play both formats (NTSC and PAL). I've backed up quite a few DVD's from region 1 (made them region free in the process) and played them successfully here (Australia) on my TEAC standalone player, which is an autoselecting dual mode DVD player (NTSC and PAL). Maybe I'm not correct but I think that as long as your DVD player can't play region 2 format (PAL), you won't have much success in watching it.

9. RWG

RWG Regular member

From the Afterdawn Glossary:

PAL
    PAL (Phase Alternating Line) TV standard was introduced in the early 1960's in Europe. It has better resolution than in NTSC, having 625 lines/frame, but the framerate is slightly lower, being 25 frames/sec.

PAL is used in most of the western European countries (except France, where SECAM is used instead), Australia, some countries of Africa, some countries of South America and in some Asian countries.

There are various versions of PAL, most commonly used method is called PAL B/G, but others include PAL I (used in the UK and in Ireland) and PAL M (weird hybrid standard, which has the same resolution as NTSC has, but uses PAL transmission and color coding technology anyway). All of these standards normally work nicely together, but audio frequencies might vary and therefor you should check that your appliances work in the country you're planning to use them (older PAL B/G TVs can't decode UK's PAL I audio transmissions even that the picture works nicely).

NTSC
    Color TV standard developed in the U.S. in 1953 by National Television System Committee. NTSC is used in United States, Canada, Japan, in most of the American continent countries and in various Asian countries. Rest of the world uses either some variety of PAL or SECAM standards.

NTSC runs on 525 lines/frame and it's vertical frequency is 60Hz. NTSC's framerate is 29,97 frames/sec