1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with VHS to PC via new card

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by AmiNutall, Jul 31, 2010.

1. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Hiya guys. Im trying to copy from my VHS recorder to my pc. My local pc shop just installed a new ATI All in Wonder 128 video card to allow me to do this. They have also supplied a cable , that uses scart to go into the VHS video player, the other end I connect the yellow connection to a yellow connection on another cable, which at the other end then plugs a s-video type connection into the card in my pc. (hope that makes sense ! )
    They say they tested the card and could watch TV on it fine.

Im trying to copy using Windows Movie Maker , tho dont really care if there's a better option. But when I click on 'capture from video device' , it says 'the video device is already in use'. I can click past this, but the only device I can see is my webcam.

Any advice on how to best use this card to capture form my VHS. And if possible how can I change the settings on it , as most advice says to use the highest possible capture quality.

Cheers in advance.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

For generic capture try a program called STOIK, perhaps using the HuffyUV capture
    codec. You can edit it and convert to DVD or other format as necessary.
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Stoik_Video_Capture

The other option is probably the ATI Multimedia Center package since it's their card.
    I don't know if your card has any hardware mpeg encoding, but if it does
    you may need the ATI SW to activate it. In this case, capture mpeg-2 and convert
    to DVD without further conversion.

3. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Hi Dave , thanks for the reply. I think my main concern first is that the pc isnt seeing the video recorder? Maybe the driver for the s-vdeo port hasnt been installed, as Im guessing the shop tried the tv in port instead on the card.
    Do I have to set the video to be on a certain channel ?

4. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Ok - I have slight progress.

In both Windows Movie Maker and Nero , I can select the ATI card , but all I then get is a message that "The capture device is currently in use. Plse close all applications using the device then try again".

Well as far as Im aware nothing is running that is using the device. How can I check what is 'using' the device ?

Thanks.

5. davexnet

davexnet Active member

I would install the ATI MC software and see if it works with that.

6. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Hi Dave,

My plan was just to get the camera to work , then look at downloading 'better' software, but I see your logic in trying the ATI software to see if it resolves my issue.
    I cant seem to find the right link on the ATI (amd)for the card I have , can you suggest the right software ? Much appreciated.

7. davexnet

davexnet Active member

8. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Cheers Dave . I will try that from home tonight.

9. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Ok - Looks like Ive found another big problem - the cable the shop sold me plugs okay into the AV output on the capture card.

Surely I have got to plug the cable from the VHS into the AV INPUT on the capture card (which the cable they supplied doesnt fit) ?

(Bangs head on desk)

10. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Well the pc / card/ cables are going back to the shop tomorrow - tho i fear they wont be able to resolve the issue.

If not, then Im going to try my relatives vhs/dvd recorder como.

Only other alternative is an easy to use external device - anybody recommend one ?

11. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Sorry to hear about the card - weren't you able to find the proper cable?

Another solution may be the Canopus (Grass Valley) ADVC55 which outputs DV,
    so you'll need a firewire card in the PC and enough disk space for about 13GB per hour.

Once you get DV on the PC, it's a good medium for further editing, and can be encoded to
    the format of your choice when you're ready.
    http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc55

12. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Hi Dave ,

Thats sounds a great product and exactly what I need.

BUT - it costs £140 ! :-( I just dont have that many tapes to convert to justify that. Shame

Im hopefully borrowing the vhs / dvd recorder combo today , so will see what that does. Dependant upoun how that works, Im then off to the pc shop tomorrow morning. So will either get my money back or try again to get the card to work.

Will update you guys on the continuing saga !

13. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Well I gave up with the capture card. And had to put up with the stroppy attitude of the shop owner - I wont be returning there again.

Im going to borrow a dvd recorder (not the combo), and hopefully connect my VHS video to it. Im assuming this will work (If I get the right cables ?) .

14. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Should be fine, as long as the tapes are not protected with Macrovision.

15. retexan

retexan Member

I have had excellent success getting my VHS video onto DVD's with a combo player/recorder. I have now done many tapes this way. It is a minimal hassle method. The unit I have used is a Magnavox MWR20V6 bought in 2007. My initial investment has well paid for itself.

16. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Unfortunately the combo doesnt seem to work, so Im going to borrow their dvd recorder. Ive managed to get copies of the DVD film, so its just a few programs I taped off the tv that I now want to copy from VHS to DVD. Im assuming there will be no macrovision issue there then ?

I dont have a note of the model type DVD recorder to hand, but what cables will be required ? I assume I can use a scart cable coming out of the VHS ?

17. xolx

xolx Member

Just in case your VHS are Macrovision protected:
    http://www.xdimax.com/grex_faq/faq_vcrdvdcombo.html#mwr20v6