1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help needed xbox 360 transfering data from 1 xbox to another

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by raebie, Oct 8, 2010.

1. raebie

raebie Guest

My son has an xbox 360 with a 60gb hard drive but is getting a new 250gb model and wants to transfer his data over from the old hard drive to the new one. I know you can buy a data transfer cable to do this but i was wondering if you can do it with an external usb hard drive instead? I already have an external hard drive so if its possible it would save me having to buy a data transfer cable. If anyone can help it would be appreciated, thanks.

2. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

depends how much contents you have; with the 9199 dash you can copy data over from hdd to MS formatted usb stick. so first you need to get an usb stick, attach to your xbox, format it in the xbox so that it is formatted like a MU device. the max size is 16 GIG; no more! then copy over the data from the internal hdd, to the usb stick. put the usb stick in the new xbox, and copy data back to the 250 gig.

of course you can use any usb drive (external hdd f.i.) as a MU device, but you can only have 16 gig. so if you put a 1 TB external hdd on the xbox and format it as a MU device, you end up with 16 gig of usable storage. keep in mind that formatting means all data on the hdd is lost!!! i use an old 20 gig hdd attached to an usb enclosure which is formatted as a 16 gig usb MU device.

and no, you cannot copy data from the internal hdd / MU device formatted memory stick to a usb harddisk that is fat32 formatted. copying gamedata on the internal hdd and MU device is only possible between internal hdd and MU devices, not to an external hdd that is only formatted as fat32 (the external drive needs to formatted as a MU device, and only 16 gig can be used than. after which you can always format the usb device back to fat32 or ntfs of course).