1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help needer in viewing subtitles with a movie

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by R3507, Feb 14, 2006.

1. R3507

R3507 Member

Hi,
    I'm a brand new member of this forum.
    And my inaugural doubt is How to view a movie together with subtitles.
    I have the files movie.avi and movie.srt together in a seperate folder .I'm using Windows Media classic player to try to view it.But everytime it just plays the movie without the subtitles.
    Can you guys suggest the easiest way to get me going.
    Thanks in Advance

2. kwiktrip

kwiktrip Member

So you have an .avt and an .srt. So, when you want to play the movie, you load it into Windows Media Player and the subs don't show. And they won't because they are in a seperate file, the .srt. What you are going to have to do is join the .avi and .srt into a single file. This is called muxing. Also, I'm not sure if WMP will play subtitles. I use VLC media player, but there are certainly others that will do the job.
    I looked around and found something that sounds like it will work. I haven't used it, so I cannot personally vouch for it or walk you through it, but if you go to
    http://dvd.box.sk/index.php?pid=soft&prj=list&tools=subtitle&pol=20
    and go to the botom of the page, you should see a plugin that should take care of your problem.
    good luck

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

@R3507
    Windoes media player will show subtitles, and this is VERY easy. You have to download VobSUB(a free little proggy). All you have to do is install it in your PC.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/subtitle_tools/vobsub.cfm

Put your subtiltes file in the same folder with main movie and make sure they have EXACTLY the same name,e.g MyMovie.avi and MyMovie.sub.

When you play your avi, Vobsub will start automatically and show your subtitles.
    lemme know how it works.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  4. Shawn_San

Shawn_San Member

I'm currently trying to run a movie with subs on WMP V.10, and the subs aren't working. They're under the files of .avi and .ssa, does the subs need to be under a different file type, or will the software from the pervious post work anyways?

(P.S. Brand new here, also new at subtitles)

EDIT: Nevermind, I downloaded that program and installed it and my movie now works fine, subs and all.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You're welcome:~)!